Chapter 18: A night to remember

[Chris]

I plopped myself down on a bench beside Eleanor and sighed deeply. Who would have thought playing with a 7-year-old around the park's playground can be more tiring than a football match???

Let me say, Daisy was a ball of energy, a huge ball. She ran around the playground for 45 minutes none stop, pulling me and Eleanor after herself. And now, when her sister and I had sat tired she still had so much energy left, but thanks to the heavens, she had found a few friends around her age and they were playing together right then.

I turned and looked at Eleanor when I heard her chuckle. "I'm sorry." she said with a warm smile and offered me half of an apple. "She is so energetic."

"That's how she is supposed to be." I answered with a smile and took the apple and took a large bite eagerly. 

Eleanor turned and looked at her sister who was now laughing and running away from the boy who was chasing the others. "I'm happy to see her this lively." she said. "I was afraid she fell into depression after all of the things we went through. I'm happy that after too long I have time to spend with her."

She then turned to me and looked into my eyes. "All thanks to you." she said quietly.

I just stared at her face. Eleanor wasn't someone to be hard to read. Her eyes were somehow relieved, peaceful, and full of gratitude, but deep down there was a great sadness. I gently grabbed her hand and gave it a squeeze. Even her smile was sad.

"Hey!" I said and ran my thumb on the back of her hand. "It's going to be fine. She has a great and strong sister like you. And you have me by your side. So don't worry. You all will be fine."

She gave me a grateful smile and tightened her hold on my hand. "Thank you, Chris." she said quietly. "You don't know how much your words mean to me, how much your presence gives me courage. I feel safe when you are around."

Her words touched my heart greatly and brought a wide grin to my face. She didn't know how much her words meant to me. I leaned down and gently kissed her forehead. She closed her eyes with a soft smile on her lips and leaned more toward me.

Fuck! I like that a lot. I didn't want the moment to end.

"You don't know how much I'm happy to hear that you trust me, angel." I mumbled when I pulled away and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "You don't know how fucking proud of myself I feel."

Her smile grew. "You are a great boy, Chris." she said. "I'm so happy that I get to know this caring and kind side of you. Your parents should be so proud of you."

That hit me like a truck and my grin vanished. A bitter taste filled my mouth at hearing her last sentence. I looked away unable to look into her eyes anymore.

"Hey, are you fine?" she asked worriedly. "I'm sorry. Did I say something wrong?"

"You didn't say anything wrong, beautiful." I answered and glanced at her now concerned eyes, offering her a weak smile. "But my parents are far from proud of me. At least my father is not anywhere near proud. If anything he disapproves of my existence." 

"Why?" she asked softly. I could see she was curious and sad because of my sadness. There was no ounce of pity in her eyes.

"Let's just say I'm nothing like what he wants me to be." I sighed and leaned back. "He wants me to be someone like my brother, Jax. But let's face it. I don't want to be Jax. I honestly don't know what I want to be. But all my father cares about is his picture in society as a great businessman and I'm someone who he is afraid to tarnish that perfect picture."