Chapter 19: Bribing her siblings

[Eleanor]

"I told you to not come." I said as I approached Chris in the lobby of the hotel. I was sounding a bit protesting but my heart was fluttering at seeing him and was beating franticly in my rib cage and I couldn't help the big smile that stretched my lips.

I had texted him this morning to not come to the hotel because I needed to go grocery shopping. But there he was. Waiting in the lobby as always, waiting for me. I would lie if I said it was not warming my heart and I was not expecting him to come anyway. 

As if my smile was contagious, Chris returned it with a big grin and I can swear his eyes shined brightly as they landed on me. "And I told you that I will come anyway." He responded. "We will go grocery shopping together. I need some things as well."

"Thank you." I said and kissed his cheek, hearing him take a sharp intake of breath as his arms wrapped around my body, pulling me in his addicting and safe arms. "And Hello." I whispered as I put my head on his chest and hugged him back, secretly inhaling as much as I could from his manly scent that had become a comforting smell to me.

"Hello, angel." he husked out and kissed my temple before pulling back and taking my hand. "Let's go now."

I nodded and we walked toward the sliding doors and walked outside in the chilly air of October. I snuggled closer to Chris for warmth as we walked to his car. He quickly let go of my hand and put his arm around me, pulling me more to him.

To anyone, we might have looked like a happy girlfriend and a boyfriend whereas, in reality, we weren't even close to that definition. I didn't know what to call my relationship with Chris, to be honest. We couldn't be categorized as friends. Friends wouldn't act like us. You won't get butterflies when you see your friend, right?

I even didn't know if we were more than friends or not. It was confusing but at the same time, it didn't feel odd or out of place. It was so natural. And I thought Chris felt the same by how he looked comfortable around me. 

I liked spending time with him. I was feeling guilty a bit that he would do so many things for me. But at the same time, it was exciting for me as well and he was doing it eagerly like he wanted to spend time with me.

All the time driving to the supermarket, we talked and laughed about last night. His deep belly laughter was making my heart flutter. It was a magnificent sight to see. The way he would throw his head back and would close his eyes tightly while laughing. I really liked his carefree handsome face without those wrinkles on his brow.

And I feel too proud to be the reason for this carefree personality of him.

Turned out the things he needed were a bar of chocolate and a box of cigarettes. Of course, he put back the cigarettes after a long speech I gave him with a scowl on my face and a hand on my hip. 

He had rolled his eyes but had chuckled and shook his head while putting back the box surrendering. What?? His dream was to become a footballer and he needed to stay healthy.

"Um, angel?" he asked while scratching the back of his head, not taking his eyes off of the road as we neared my neighborhood. "Do you mind if I come in? I really need someone to tutor me for the chem exam tomorrow. Of course, it's okay if you don't want to. You may have plans for ..."

"I'd love to, Chris." I cut him off, making a big grin appear on his handsome face. I continued as he glanced at me. "It's the least I can do for you. Plus I have no plans for tonight."

I tried to not sound so excited whereas, in reality, there was a party going on inside of my heart. Let me tell you, Chris Harrington was the type of student who didn't give a shit about his education. Was this idea of his because he wanted to spend time with me?