Chapter 2- Long Distance Promises

--Dahlia POV--

"Congratulations on your graduation!" I exclaimed, jumping into his awaiting arms as we both laughed out loud in pure joy.

"Thank you so much. You know, it still doesn't feel very real," He spoke, quickly giving himself a reality check as he gently set me back down on the ground while I confusingly looked up at him, not even surprised at this point.

"Well, you graduated as the top student of this school, and now you're moving onto university. You've been working for this for a really long time, so I guess I see why it would feel a little unreal, but Marcos," I called as he cocked his head to the side, giving me his full attention.

I leaned up on my tiptoes, going to whisper in his ear with an amused laugh.

"It's all real. And you worked hard for it, so enjoy every moment," And I stood back up straight, poking his forehead before laughing at the dumbstruck look on his face, quickly snapping him out of his daze as he released a long sigh, staring at me long and hard before shaking his head as he thought about something.

"What?" I decided to prod.

"Nothing. Nothing at all, my dear Dahlia," I almost blushed at the sudden words of affection as he trapped me in a headlock, rubbing his hand over my hair which had once been tidy, but is probably closer to a haystack now.

"Then I don't understand your need to mess up my hair," I squatted him away, glaring at him as I tried to fix the frizzy mess that was happening.

"Promise me something," He started as I spared him a glance before going back to trying to look up at my hair which I had spent more time than usual trying to perfect for his graduation ceremony, but clearly, all that hard work was missed in his eyes.

"It depends on what the promise is. I don't make it a habit to fall into contracts where I know I'll get nothing in return-"

"-Stop being such a stick in the mud, and listen to me for just a second, alright," He chuckled, cutting me off as I kept silent, gulping back the nervous clog in my throat as he spoke up.

Dear God, what if he asks me to stay away from him? Or worse-

"Don't lose contact with me,"

-Never mind. My pessimism had seeped through once again, it seems.

"Why would I lose contact with you?" I asked, confused.

"We'll be living in different countries for the next year or so, I'll be busy with my studies, and you'll be moving forward with your dream, but through all of that, let's not lose our friendship, it means a lot to me,"

I had always thought that I was more invested in this friendship than him, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about it, so I'm glad to know that he cherishes this friendship of ours just as much as I do. 

While he's completely capable to go and make friends with more optimistic people, the same can't be said about me, I was just too scared. He knew that I was a pessimistic person, I couldn't help it with my abandonment issues, and he was nice enough to understand it, and love me through all of it.

"Yes," I couldn't help the grin that crept onto my face. 

"I promise to stay in contact with you. Let's be friends for the rest of our lives," Chuckling, he nodded along, moving in to hug me as I hugged back without thought, wrapping my arms around his waist while his own hand gently stroked the back of my head.

And within the end of the week, I was stood at the airport, a safe distance away from the private jet as he climbed up the steps with his head turned to look at me, waving back with as much oomph as I was, excitement evidently clear on his face.