Chapter 31- The Peaceful Moments

--Dahlia POV--

"I told you, dearie, you don't need to help me with this,"

"And I've told you that I'm doing this because I want to, it's not hard work, and talking to you is entertaining," She laughed, giving in with a little shrug as I continued to help her hang her washing on the lines.

There's not a single hotel in this village, but there is a Bed & Breakfast which is completely devoid of any human life except that of the nice old lady that owned it with her pet cat and grandchild, and it's where I've been staying for the past month.

"How are you feeling?" She asked, taking the pegs that I handed over to her.

"My morning sickness is getting better by the day, the children are happy to hear that since that would mean I'll be able to play with them more,"

"Can you blame them? No one's able to entertain them like you can with your stories about the city, and, not to mention, you've not been drained of all your energy like all the others before you have," I failed to stifle my laugh at that. Those children are quite energetic, they couldn't sit still for too long, but that's how I expected most children to be, and maybe it's because I was once an athlete that I'm able to keep up with them without needing breaks? Who knows?

"Well, it's only been a month or so, we'll have to give it some more time to see how long it takes until they're bored of me,"

"You're not someone people will get bored of, Dahlia, and I say that with confidence,"

"You say everything with confidence,"

"With more confidence than usual, so you know it's a fact," When did it become a competition? "And I only wish that confidence is something that can be shared, I'd give you all of mine," She added on a moment later.

"Why do you say that?"

"Because you have none, and are in severe need of it. I can only wonder about the kind of life you've lived before coming here," She patted my cheek as she walked passed me to get to the laundry basket and pick out another dress to hang up.

"It wasn't an easy one, that's for sure,"

"I surmised as much. But hopefully, your stay here will be able to change that,"

"Do you think that's really possible?"

"It's up to you, dear. Even though the world is so vast and beautiful, if you're looking at it through a pair of binoculars, you'll miss the beauty that's closest to you," I don't even own a pair of binoculars.

"If you say so, Margot," I shrugged off with a smile as I continued with my chores.

"People tend to fixate on the darker things in life, and those darker things tend to cast a shadow over the good things so it's harder for you to see them. What you need to do is find a way to look past the shadows that have hurt you, and find peace with the things that give you light, and once you're able to do that, you'll find a freedom unlike any other,"

"You speak from experience?"

"Everything I say is from experience. I may not look it, but I was once a wild young woman that travelled the world, going from country to country every other week," That's not hard to believe, I saw her picking a fight with a goat yesterday, it was quite the sight, but I didn't mention it.

"Then what caused you to settle down in this small village instead of any other big city?"

"Because I found a light in this village that gave me peace. He was my husband, my biggest support, and the one who showed me the beauty of the small things in life. Thanks to him, I was able to put an end to my adventurous lifestyle,"