Single Father of Four

Being the father of four children is hard work, especially when there is no mother. The home is never quiet, not even at night. I hear my oldest son wake up late at night from night terrors and the triplets are afraid of every little shadow that sits on the wall. I wish I could do more for my sons.

My name is Aotearoa, or New Zealand if you would rather call me by my English name. I live on a farm with my sister and four sons. They mean everything in the world to me. I had a bad childhood and my 'father' never treated me well, so I aim to be a better father than he ever was. He scoffed when I first adopted Samoa. He told me that I would spend a day with the kid and then abandon him. Out of sheer spite, I made sure to love Samoa with all my heart.

When I first met Sammy, I found him abandoned on the battlefield. He was only young and barely understood the concept of war, but he was on his own and scared. I took him home with me and cleaned him up as well as gave him something to eat. At the world meeting when the discussion of territories came up, I was the only country to claim Samoa. No objections. He was now my son.

It took a while for him to warm up to me, but eventually, he understood I was there for him. I knew too well what it was like moving in with a new family. I taught him how to take care of the livestock and plants on the farm while my sister, Māori, taught him to cook. We were quite a happy family. Although, I was a little bit protective of Samoa, knowing what he has been through. I stopped taking part in family gatherings since they would either get controversial or were just boring in general.

Plenty of years had passed and eventually, I was told that I was going to be a proper father. I was so happy, but my wife was not. I ended up taking care of my sons on my own. Triplets. She gave birth to triplets. I had no idea how I was supposed to take care of babies, but I tried my best and somewhere along the line I may have made a mistake, but I still love them to bits. This doesn't mean I cared for Samoa any less. Samoa probably spent more time with the triplets than I did.

My marriage was quickly rethought after the triplets were in my possession. I understand too. We had kept the marriage secret for so long, but I knew she would have trouble if her brothers found out that she suddenly had children. It was a mutual agreement but one day she will see her sons all grown up and be proud of them.

Life has been hard, but it isn't terrible. I would say I have my brother, Australia to rely on, but he has his own problems going for him. Australia has a daughter, around the same age as Samoa, so we thought that they could get along as cousins. The two of them have very different interests, however. No point in forcing friendship I guess.

I can't wait to watch my boys grow up into independent countries of their own, but for now, I will protect them...

.

..

...

....

.....

....

...

..

.

"Dad?"

I opened my eyes. Rolled over in bed to see Tokelau standing at the door. I looked at the clock on my bedside table. 3 in the morning. I sat up and looked at my son.

"TK, what's wrong?" I asked with a small smile as I turned on the lamp. Tokelau rushed over to me and climbed on my bed. I noticed he was crying. I placed him on my lap and wiped away his tears.

"Did you have a bad dream?" I asked. He nodded.

"What was it about?"

"Th-the shadows at-ate Sammy," He whimpered. I hugged him and stroked his head.

"It was only a dream," I sighed.

"What if they eat me too!" Tokelau was beginning to get a little paranoid.

"The shadows won't hurt you, and they didn't hurt Sammy,"

"A-are you sure?" He asked.

"Here, I will show you," I yawned. I put him on the ground as I got out of bed. I took his little hand and TK followed me. I quietly and slowly walked down the hallway to Samoa's room. I creaked the door open a little bit, so Tokelau could see inside.

"See, your big brother is safe, and even if the shadows tried to eat him, Samoa will just fight them off. He is strong like that, you know." I whispered, slowly closing the door. Tokelau nodded shyly. I picked him up and started walking to his bedroom. I hung him over my shoulder and tickled him.

"Dad! Put me down!" He laughed. I hushed him before I opened his bedroom door. His two brothers were fast asleep. I placed Tokelau in his bed and tucked him in.

"Now, you need to get to sleep, you have school tomorrow," I said, turning around to leave.

"But I don't want to go to school," He complained.

"Fine then, you can come to work with me and help me sort out the piles and piles of paperwork," I smiled.

"Fine, I'll go to school," TK mumbled. I chuckled a little and left the room, closing the door behind me.

I was so tired. I managed to navigate through the dark, back to my bedroom. I will have a busy day tomorrow. Getting the kids to school, going to work and then visiting Aussie at the hospital. I laid down on my bed again and closed my eyes. I couldn't go back to sleep though. I had so many things on my mind.

"Maybe I should just stay up, I can get more things done. I will just need extra coffee tomorrow," I sighed to myself as I got out of bed again.