Half-dead Dumbass

I sat in the car with the engine running for a while. Not bothering to drive anywhere at that moment. I was tired. I had nowhere near enough coffee. I decided to call Maori and tell her that I would pick up the boys after school. Once she agreed, I drove off to the hospital.

I carefully parked the car in a parking spot that was a fair way away from the front doors of the hospital as the car park was pretty full. It barely ever got the chance to come here during the day, so I wasn't sure what I was expecting.

I took off my suit jacket and started my hike across the car park. It was actually nice to have a little bit of a walk. There was a nice, gentle breeze and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I could almost say that today was quite pleasant just because of the weather. But I had other things I needed to get my head around.

I walked in through the hospital doors and wandered up to the desk.

"How may I help you?" The man behind the desk asked.

"I'm visiting my brother, Australia, am I able to see him now?" I asked.

"What is his last name?"

"Canberra," I answered.

"Weird name... And what is your relation to the patient?"

"As I said, I'm his brother," I replied. The man nodded his head as he typed away into the computer. He then handed me a bright orange sticker that read 'visitor' in large black letters.

I put the sticker on my shirt. He told me where to find his room and began my journey through the hospital to find him.

I was usually pretty good with finding my way around new places, but the lack of sleep must have been messing with me. I got lost and had to ask for directions. A nurse directed me to the area, I knew my way from there.

I found the door to his room, but I could hear a nurse inside, so I waited until she left the room. I knocked on the door, hoping for a reply, but like every other day, there was none. I opened the door and let myself in.

I could see my dumbass of a brother lying still on the hospital bed. Cords and wires hooked up to him in every way.

I sat down on the chair next to his bed. I could hear his careful breathing along with the constant beeping of the heart monitor. I don't understand how you could sleep in a place like this. All of the noises would drive me crazy.

"Hey bro," I sighed.

"You know, it would be quite nice if you would wake up for once," I joked. The doctors had told me that all of his injuries were recovering faster than normal, he would have been able to be released from the hospital a few weeks ago, but the only reason he is still here is that he won't wake up.

He has been in a coma for a couple of months now. The doctors say it is unknown when or if he will even wake up.

"Your daughter misses you, she wants to see you again. Papua has been doing very well at school, she got an 'A-' on her maths test last Friday. I'm sure you are proud," I sighed. I thought about whether I should tell him about work. It usually isn't very exciting.

I heard the door open. I thought it might have been a doctor or nurse, so I didn't turn around to see who it was.

"Oh, hey New Zealand, I didn't know you were here," Mexico greeted.

I turned around to see him standing at the door. He was holding a small bag of chips.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I have been visiting every week, he talks in his sleep and it's really fun to listen to," He laughed.

"He sleep talks? How come I have never heard him sleep talk?"

"He usually does it around this time for some reason," Mex shrugged.

"Really?"

Mexico sat down on the chair next to me and opened his bag of chips. He offered me a handful, but I refused. I was waiting on Aussie to say something, anything. Nothing happened for a while. The only sound was Mexico eating his chips and the beeping of all of the monitors.

"Make it stop... There is no way he could be dead... Why is this happening to me?" Aus muttered.

I felt a little bit excited. To finally hear him talk was almost like music. Although, what he said was slightly concerning. Dark, terror-filled words.

"I wonder what he is dreaming about saying something like that," I said, slightly chuckling at the words that came out of his mouth.

"A world that is ridden with zombies and probably contains a version of you where you are dressed in a suit of armour and in a slightly insane cult," Mexico shrugged.

"What? That seems a little bit too specific, are you okay?" I asked.

"It was a guess, I could be wrong though," He said. His eyes darted around the room as if he was looking for or avoiding something.

"Riiight..." I said awkwardly.

"Heh," He seemed to chuckle nervously.

"I should go now," I said, standing up to leave the room.

"Okay," Mex sighed.

I left the room. I didn't stay long, but there isn't much you can entertain yourself with. I checked my watch to see how much time I would have to take a nap at home before I would pick up the boys and Papua. I don't care if I am an adult, I really needed a nap.

If I left now, I would have a full hour and a half to sleep. I decided that was the best course of action.