Chapter One (d)

Rayne - Former Prince of Ruin

The summon had come at the worst time, my bath time.

I was soaking my muscles in the tub when I heard a disembodied female voice speak my name. I thought it was one of the domestics bringing me a towel, but when they failed to address me as Your Unholiness, I knew something was amiss.

The words continued, spoken in Devil's tongue:

'Answer me, my Dark Lord. I require a servant. This daughter of night offers her soul for your power, and her life for your protection, and her heart for your magic. Will you accept my offer?'

"Yes, I accept you as my mistress," I replied.

The ground under my feet started to rumble, and I knew the little witch's magic was coming to claim me. The solid marble floor fractured like a pane of glass, and ropes of thick green ivy erupted through the marble floor, reaching for me.

Her magic was wild and earthy, intense yet unrefined.

I welcomed it with open arms and whispered, "Take me to my mistress."

The creepers seemed to understand me and crept up my legs, back and arms. I watched myself in the bathroom mirror, slowly disappearing under its vines and leaves.

The ivy grew over my head and lifted me off the floor. It carried me through the crack into a dark space that was neither Hell nor Earth.

My chest began to hurt as a strange stinging sensation prickled across my skin. I clenched my teeth and breathed through the pain. Had something gone wrong with the spell?

Suddenly, I was falling through the air. Wind and rain buffeted me as I fell through the cold night. I was in the mortal realm, and the silly witch's magic had chewed me up and spat me out high above the ground.

I stilled my mind and tried to shimmer out of the night sky and onto the ground, but something was wrong. My magic was gone. I tried again, but nothing happened. Then, boom. Impact.

I woke up to the panic cries of a young woman.

"Grandma!" she screamed, "There is a naked man in the garden."

It took me a few seconds to register that the naked man was me.

An elderly voice called back from afar, "Is he old or young?"

"Young."

"Happy days, duck! Stay there; I'm coming!"

Great, now her Grandma was coming over.

This wasn't going to plan. My intention had always been to leave the girl before she had a chance to see me. But, now, not only had she seen me, but she had seen pretty much all of me.

Her fingertips brushed against my arm, and she muttered, "I bet you caught hypothermia in the storm and stripped off."

Her touch was warm and gentle, like her voice.