Dark Black Magic: how I accidentally captured a demon prince- chapter 16- car problems

The car journey was uneventful. Rayne sat silently driving occasionally muttered a cuss word under his breath whenever the engine threatened to fail. I wondered how Grandma was doing in Wales. She had promised to send me a post card to my new flat. Glancing up from my seat I noticed Rayne looking at me almost scowling. His pale gray eyes were the color of dark angry storm clouds that seem to pierce straight through me. My heart began pounding and I suddenly felt the need to break the uneasy silence. Glancing at the white streak in his black hair I remarked, "Is that natural, the streak in you hair?"

"Yes." Rayne replied.

"That's very unusual-"

"If you don't like it I can change it."

"No! I didn't mean it like that."

"Then why mention it."

"I'm just being nosy. Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you." I said looking back out the window. The car fell silent but not for long. The engine gave an almighty bang and black smoke billowed from underneath the bonnet and seeped through the vents into the car. Rayne clamped his hand over my mouth, "Don't breathe." He ordered pulling the car over. As soon as we stopped I scrambled out the car on to the side of the road. The engine was hissing and spitting and I saw the flicker of a flame. My initial thought hadn't been flames+gas = explosion; my initial thought was to say something dumb like, "Look Rayne, the car is on fire.", and I would have said just that if I hadn't been thrown to the ground. Rayne lay on top of me, his shirt in tatters where two huge black dragon like wings had erupted and covered me. There was a huge bang and a flash of light. Around me I could hear the sound of heavy objects bouncing off Rayne's wings. I had been quite impressed and was about to say so when I caught a glimpse of pain flickering across his face. Rayne had winced as a heavy flaming metal part of the car hit him. I didn't think demons could feel pain.

When the last thud sounded Rayne rolled off me getting to his feet not saying a word. I sat up, all around me was the flaming remains of what had been my Grandmother's car. I looked to Rayne and felt sick. His back was turned towards me and I could see the price he had paid to protect me. Great gaping wounds and burns streaked across his back, one of his wings hung at a peculiar angle dragging along the floor as he walked away from me.

"Rayne your back." I whispered almost crying.

"It'll heal in a few days." Rayne shrugged.

"But you're a demon. You don't feel pain, you don't get hurt. Why are you hurt?"

"My energy levels are low. I don't have enough to regenerate."

"But last night Loki restored your energy, he kissed you."

"His energy is not yours and burns out quickly."

I paused thinking this didn't make sense. Last night he had slept next to me, feeding off my energy levels he should have been replenished.

"But last night, you lay next to me."

"I didn't feed." He said flatly.

"What? Why not?"

"I didn't want to."

"Were you full?"

"I couldn't stand the thought of feeding off you when I could still smell those other men on you. It made me feel sick. You make me feel sick the way you are so casual with everyone."

"How dare you say that to me when you were the one who kissing Loki! At least I didn't want to be kissed by Rudolph."

"So this is my fault." Rayne demanded.

I felt like we were going in circles. He was mad at me for kissing Rudolph and I was furious with him about Loki- which I kept telling myself was completely irrational. But my heart was tearing apart seeing the blood and dirt dripping from him.

"Rayne," I said quietly. "Would you let me kiss you so you can get better?"

Rayne looked coldly at me, "No."