CHAPTER 41:

June’s POV:

Time flew fast.

A little too fast if you ask me. Xander and I spent the whole morning together.

Ever since he told me about the trip, I had to force myself to be happy.

While we ate, he would try to bring up things that happened last night and I answered them to the best of my ability.

I had become way too attached to him or maybe it’s his protection and I would try to forget about the trip but one way or another, it would crawl into my head.

The only thing I had to look up for was the surprise he had planned for me.

That should be enough to sustain me. But curiosity might eat me up if he doesn’t come back soon.

All was going partially well when a slave boy came and informed Xander that it was time to go.

My heart began to ache.

It felt like I was witnessing him being sentenced to life imprisonment.

It was like we would never see each other again.

“h-how long are you leaving?” I just hoped it was an overnight trip and it won’t be the kind that I’ll never see again.

“Maybe a month?” he didn’t even look comfortable telling me.

Yep, it's official, I’m going to die!

This can’t be happening. For some odd reason, I felt like I couldn’t smile again.

“I’m kidding. If all goes well maybe a week” his knuckles brushed my cheek as I breathed out a sigh of relief.

That was manageable.

It was endurable. I could literally roll on the floor and beg him to stay.

I would do probably anything but it wasn’t his choice.

“Can you promise me something?” he dropped his playfulness and was suddenly serious.

He’s been nothing but sweet towards me and he hasn’t been too serious in a while but this is different. I nodded.

“please stay away from Layla” he gently pressed my shoulders and brushed it with his thumb.

I’ve always been afraid of her so he doesn’t have to worry about that.

There was something about her that made me shiver in fear but I couldn’t place my finger on what it was.

“I don’t trust her to look after my keys, talk more of…you” he pushed my hair behind my ears and a blush crept on my face.

“yes” I looked down at my feet.

His comment worked its way to my heart but maybe he just saw me as a pet too good to lose and not how I actually think of it.

Xander placed his hand on my chin and forced me to look him in the eye.

“say it seriously” I was lost in his beautiful eyes. I could tell an entire story by just looking into them.

If I don’t speak soon it’s going to be an awkward situation that I wouldn’t want to live to regret.

“y-yes I will” was all I could muster up.

“pardon me my prince but your father said it’s time for your departure” a slave boy said from the other side of the door and Xander groaned like a child.

“stay safe. If you ever feel alone, you can have Paloma or Willow; probably Seth will come spend time with you” Xander was reluctant when mentioning Seth’s name but anything or anyone is better than Layla and I agree.