Chapter 4 - Unlikely Event

Taylor's POV
I don't know what came over me. I just feel so safe, and lying in Laura's embrace feels so right. I leant up, towards her neck and wrapped my arms around it. Then I lay my head on her shoulder and stay there. She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable, but I think she's worried. I have been crying a lot...

Men, huh?

I tightened my grip and got even closer even though it seemed impossible. I was sobbing uncontrollably, but she was calming me down. Soon enough, the crying stopped and we were lying there in the street. It was dark by now and there weren't many people around, so Laura didn't move, and neither did I. It felt like hours, it probably was. Never did I know, that wasn't the end.

I moved my head. Laura had her back against the car, and my head was resting on her shoulder. She was sleeping, how adorable! I turned onto my back and rested my head in her lap.
"Are you okay? Sounded like you had a lot to cry about.." She whispered into the night.
"I'm better now, I was just being silly" I tried to set up a front, but she knocked it down.
"Look whoever hurt you might have believed that bullshit but not me. You'll have to try harder than that." She chuckled and looked down at me with a smile.
I studied her face. The faint dimples that show when she smiles, the way her skin is perfect, the shape of her lips and the way she can look amazing even when she's unhappy or not even trying.
"You know you're beautiful" I whispered, without even thinking. I watched as she looked back up towards the house and chuckled. "I'm serious, you are. And I know you've probably been told that before but I thought I would reassure you" I smiled and persisted to look at her face. She was blushing a little, but she still didn't respond.

After minutes passed, I looked away from her face. I turned on my side and looked towards the house, then I felt tears again. I couldn't cry now, not at something this stupid.

Before I knew it, tears were streaming down my face again. It was silent but in the silence of the night you could hear faint sniffles every now and again.
"You know, I hate compliments, but I will return them" she whispered. I don't think she noticed I was crying so I turned onto my back again.
"Why do you hate them? You probably get them all the time, or you should" I looked up at her once more to be met by emerald eyes staring into mine.

"I couldn't find a compliment big enough to give you" she whispered. "That's why I stayed silent, but that's why you're crying, right? Because I didn't return one" she began to tear up.

I shot up to her face and wiped away the tears that had only just formed. My hand stayed on her face and I stayed there as she avoided eye contact with me. We were inches apart, maybe it was making her feel awkward. Just before I went to move, she put her hand over mine and looked into my eyes with a look filled with sadness, pain and fear, but also concern.

"Stay, please" she whispered whilst smiling. So I sat back up and looked directly into her eyes, just like before. My hand was still placed on her cheek with the force of her hand on top of it.
"I--"
"Don't" she interrupted. "Just stay"

"Okay"