chapter 8

i woke up to the sound of a phone alarm. i did not want to go to work today, not for any reason in particular i was just tired.

"gooodning baby" bradley's walked out of the bathroom and kissed me on the head. "get up we have to go to work in half an hour"

"ughhh i don't want to" i groaned and pulled the cover over my head.

"tough. you have too" bradley pulled the covers off of me and i lay on the bed freezing. i took off the pants half way through the night because it got to warm , i was left with my black shirt still on with red lacey underwear.

"fine i'll get up" i stood up quickly and slammed the door to the bathroom.

bradley's pov

she'd been in the bathroom for 20 minutes now. so i knock on the door

"babe phoenix is leaving in 5" she quickly walked back out of the bathroom wearing a pair of very short shorts and and white cropped shirt. "you look hot now cmon let's go."

ELENAS POV

"Time is your greatest enemy." maverick paced down the isle between the chairs. "Phase one of the mission will be a low-level ingress attacking in two-plane teams. You'll fly along this narrow canyon to your target. Radar-guided surface-to-air missiles defend the area." he stopped back at the front and turned to the screen behind him

"These sams, they're lethal. But they were designed to protect the skies above, not the canyon below."

"That's because the enemy knows no one is insane enough to try and fly below them." bradley pointed out

"That's exactly what I'm gonna train you to do. On the day, your altitude will be 100 feet maximum. You exceed this altitude..."

the radar on the screen made a beeping sound "Radar will spot you and you're dead."

"Your airspeed will be 660 knots minimum. Time to target: Two and a half minutes. That's because fifth-generation fighters wait at an air base nearby. In a head-to-head with these planes in your f-18s, you're dead. That's why you need to get in, hit your target and be gone before these planes even have a chance of catching you. This makes time your greatest adversary. You'll fly a route in your nav system that simulates the canyon. The faster you navigate this canyon, the harder it'll be to stay under the radar of these enemy sams."

The tighter the turns, the more intensely the force of gravity on your body multiplies...

"Compressing your lungs...
Forcing the blood from your brain...
Impairing your judgment and reaction time." his voice started to sound like something from a horror movie. this  is a suicide mission.

"So for today's lesson, we're gonna take it easy on you." his voice cheered up a bit "Max ceiling: 300 feet. Time to target: Three minutes....
Good luck."

up first was bob phoenix and me.

"Time to target is one minute 30." bob spoke.

"We are two seconds behind. Increase to 480 knots." i spoke to phoenix and bob.

"Copy. Increasing speed."

"Oh, shit!"

beeping came from phoenixes controls.

"Why are they dead?" mav asked me.

"i slowed down."

"no matrix why are they dead?" he asked again more using a more demanding tone this time.  "One that their family will accept at the funeral." god he is a piece of work.