𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐖𝐚𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠

𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐎𝐃
《𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐤𝐞𝐧𝐝》

Nick sent Brielle a time and place. He even called before hand to make reservations at a nice place. He wanted to make things right. He wanted her to be happy with him when he went to prom with her. If anything, he didn't want to lose her after prom.

"I just feel...weird." He said, buttoning up his white button-up shirt. Cassidy, who he had invited over to help him get ready, flopped back onto his bed and sighed.

"It's because you have a crush on her, dumbass." Cassidy said. Nick turned to her as he finished the last button and he chuckled.

"I think I've figured that out by now." He said. Cassidy propped herself up on her elbows and she grinned.

"Good. I was praying you're not stupid." She said. Nick shrugged and snickered to himself.

"I feel like I am stupid. Just not to feelings." He said. Cassidy kicked her legs gently off the side of his bed.

"Well, then why do you feel weird?" She asked. Nick paused, thinking of a full response. He turned and looked back to the mirror.

"Well, I'm not used to feeling like this towards another person, but...I also just feel like this won't go well." He said. Cassidy stood and walked up behind him, resting her hands on his shoulders and peeking around him. Nick blinked as she began massaging his shoulders.

"Let me give you a pep talk, kid." She said. Nick scoffed.

"I'm older and taller than you."

"Shut up. Listen. Brielle isn't the kind to hold grudges forever. She understands misunderstandings, miscommunication, and forgives apologies. It may take a little bit, but something like this blows over. I promise she won't throw her glass in your face or flip the table." Cassidy said, making Nick laugh and swat her hands away. He turned to face her.

"You're a good friend, you know that?" He said, crossing his arms. Cassidy imitated his body language and smiled proudly.

"I do know that. I'm glad to be of assistance to my best friend's future prom date." She said. Nick rolled his eyes.

"Ouch."

"I'm kidding! You're a friend to me, Nick." She said. Nick chuckled and reached to his night stand, grabbing a small bouquet he bought. He turned to Cassidy, holding the flowers to his chest.

"This okay?" He asked. Cassidy paused and walked over. She licked her hand and slicked his hair back a little, Nick scrunching up his nose and moving away.

"Ew!" Cassidy snickered and crossed her arms.

"That was simply for my amusement. Yeah, you look great." She said. Nick shoved her a little and sighed.

"Alright, then. I'm heading out." He said. Cassidy followed Nick out and to his car. She wished him luck and watched Nick drive off. She got in her own car and sighed softly, leaning back in her seat.

"Brielle better treat him nice. He's gonna be the best she can get." She said, starting her car and leaving Nick's house.

❤︎︎❤︎︎❤︎︎

Nick showed up at the restaurant. It was a very nice place, even from the outside looking in. He sighed and readjusted the tie Cassidy had forced him to wear. He went inside, holding the flowers close. The hostess at the front looked up and smiled.

"Hi there! Do you have a reservation?" She asked. Nick nodded.

"I do. It should be under Armstrong." He said. She read through her computer at the front desk and nodded.

"Yup. Here you are." She grabbed two menus, "a table for two, correct?"

"That's it." He said. She walked around the counter.

"Right this way." She led Nick through the restaurant. He could feel eyes on him for the bouquet he was holding, most people smiling as they could tell he had clearly planned the date to make someone happy. It was just that look from parents or older people that spoke "aw what a nice young man".

The hostess set two menus down and Nick slipped into one of the seats, setting his bouquet on the table gently.

"Someone will be here shortly to take your order." She said. Nick nodded and looked to the empty seat. He checked his phone and then looked out the window.

'Must be running late' he thought to himself, sighing. He decided to just go through the menu as he waited. His head popped up many times to check if Brielle had come through the door. He understood if she was running late. The whole plan was a little last minute.

❤︎︎❤︎︎❤︎︎

"Are you sure you wouldn't like to order, sir?" The waiter asked for the seventh time that night. Nick rested his chin on his palm and he shook his head.

"No thank you. I appreciate it, though." He said. He mustered up the best smile he could, but the waiter only gave him a sympathetic look and walked away. Nick watched him walk off and he noticed people around him staring and mumbling to each other. His cheeks grew red and he ducked his head down, rubbing the back of his neck. He looked to the bouquet still laying there and then to his phone. He checked the time once again for nearly the 100th time that night.

An hour and a half late...

"She's not coming..." he mumbled to himself. No text saying she was on her way. No apology for running late. Nothing. Just the read message of the time and place from him. He stared up at the empty seat in front of him and his heart sunk. The people at the table beside his turned to him.

"I'm really sorry, kid. I'm sure there's a good reason she's not here." The man said. Nick wanted to just sink back into his seat and disappear, embarrassed beyond imagination.

"Yeah...thanks..." he stood and pocketed his phone, picking up the bouquet and pushing his chair in. He didn't want to sit there with sympathetic glances from the people around him who knew that he had been stood up. He passed the waiter coming back to refill his water and the waiter blinked, turning and watching him go. He could feel eyes burning into the back of his skin. Who had entered a nervous and excited wreck was leaving with a drag to his feet.

He walked past the front door, throwing the bouquet in the trash and heading to his car. He slipped into the front seat and gripped the wheel, taking a deep breath. When he opened his eyes, everything was blurry. Tears brimmed his eyes as he just felt completely devastated. He really planned to make her happy that night. He wanted to make up for upsetting her, whether he was or wasn't in the wrong. He couldn't be more embarrassed with the amount of people who had stared at him, seeing him as a guy not worth any girl's time.

He wiped his eyes, tears refusing to leave and slipping down his cheeks. He started his car and sniffled, leaving the place. He tried to take deep and steady breaths. There was probably a good explanation, he had kept telling himself, but he just gave up. She didn't want to see him and instead of simply declining his request to go out, she wanted to instead make him wait and feel like shit. It was cruel.

Very very cruel.

❤︎︎