𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝐏𝐨𝐞𝐦 𝐏𝐢𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐬

𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐎𝐃
《𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐡 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐝》

Brielle found herself in a troubling situation. She had been so caught up in making prom plans perfect that she completely forgot about the poem piece she was supposed to present. The next week was the last week of school, the assembly being on the very last day. She had to take a snippet from her poem or write a new section on the same topic. She was struggling to piece something together and prepare to present it.

Brielle was in study hall, bouncing her knee quickly as she read over what she had. She only had a few sentences written and didn't even like them. She had so many feelings that it felt hard to write. It was so hard to condense everything she felt into one snippet about love.

She gave up and sighed, standing. Passing through the class and around the kids quietly working alone or together, she walked to her teacher's desk and grabbed her attention from her computer. The teacher looked up and smiled at Brielle.

"Yes, Lance?" she hummed.

"I have to practice my poem speech for next week. Can I practice outside?" Brielle asked. She nodded.

"Go right ahead."

That's why Brielle got her work done and stayed on task. Her good impression on teachers helped her leave class a lot since they often trusted her to be doing good. Of course, she didn't plan on doing something bad, but she was happy with the freedom.

Brielle grabbed her bag and draped it over her shoulder. If she would finish study hall outside, might as well have her things for easy access to just heading home once the bell rang. She headed out the door of the classroom and down the hall, her converse scuffing against the floor. She clutched her half-written poem and pencil close to her chest as she headed to the nearest exit. Walking outside, she looked around for a good place to sit down and think.

Near the field, there was a cluster of trees. The shade under the trees was perfect to relax in. Brielle gladly walked over and sat down, leaning her back against the tree. She read over what she had already written down on her paper.

'Love can be described and felt in many different ways among people. Objects, family, friends. These various items fill our heads with a sense of serotonin which we use to make our days better and brighter. With all of this overwhelming joy, can't it seem impossible for this feeling to harm us?'

Brielle sighed and fiddled with her pencil as she bit the inside of her cheek. She read over the words, trying to allow her head to roam freely into words for her poem. She had never struggled with poetry like this before. She was usually able to sit and write for hours, spilling all of her thoughts onto the paper. Brielle groaned in frustration and bonked her head onto her knees.

"You okay there?"

Brielle flinched at a sudden voice and looked up, flustered that someone found her curled up and getting frustrated over a few sentences on a piece of paper. She felt herself relax a little when she was instead met with a familiar and more comforting face.

"Hey Nick..." she sighed. Nick, proudly now her boyfriend, sat beside her and looked at the poem in her hands.

"What's that?" he asked. She quickly shoved it under her backpack rested on the grass beside them.