Chapter 9

[ Chapter 9] Let's play pretend

       In his first life, he was a weapon raised by a mercenary group. He was an assassin who would kill anyone. He doesn't know what is right and wrong. He only knows to follow orders and kill all of his targets.

He has only one purpose.

To be a weapon.

But then, a change happened in the world that they lived in.

The mercenary group in which he have grown up was gone in an instant.

With no purpose and direction, he walk the living lands that were full of chaos.

He has no dreams and no desires.

It doesn't matter whether he lives or dies.

He was a person who doesn't fear death or was even afraid of anything.

But then, he appeared.

" Chernobog... The Evil God. Defiler of Purity and Corrupter of Good Things. He was your namesake. But I still believe in you Chernobog! You are indeed raised to kill and destroy... But I believe that you could also do some good in this world! Come with me! I would give you a new purpose Chernobog! We would erase the plague that was contaminating this world! You would be the evil that would destroy evil! "

That person gives him a new purpose...

He would never forget.

Chernobog would always remember...

He... that person...

Since his purpose is to kill.

He wanted to kill that person the most.

------------------------

   A young man was lying down on a plain bed in a plain white room. The young man has ruffly short brown colored hair. The person was currently wearing gray colored pajamas which were covered by a white blanket along with his body.

Only the unconscious young man was currently in the room. The people who helped him get here are already gone along with the nurses and Doctor who helped to remove and cure the young man from his poisoned state.

The young man was Dagny Scorpius. A member of the Abyss at the bottom hierarchy of the organization. It was quite strange news for some people to learn that this unimportant young man was helped by the infamous ace of the organization Onyx.

After a while, Dagny who has been unconscious for a day opened his eyes again. He was relieved to know that he was alive judging by the sight of the ceiling that he was staring at right now.

He felt relieved that he was still alive right now. But there's no need for him to rejoice or be glad that he was alive.

Even if he already knows that this world is dangerous, the harsh cruel reality decided to slap him in the face.

Anything can happen at any time despite him knowing some of the plots of this world. This is a real-world now. His life wasn't restricted by chapters and confined pages within a story.

A small action can cause your death. Except that death in this world is at every corner.

He also realizes his mistakes from his previous actions.

Because he knows that he wasn't the real Dagny Scorpius, he acted differently from him which causes the fake Howl to be interested in him which leads to his almost near-death experience.

Sighing, he promise that he would learn from his mistakes and do better.

If it was needed for survival, he would abandon his old name so he could acclimate better in this world.

Adapt the new identity and role so he wouldn't gain dangerous attention from dangerous individuals.

But he also knows that he wasn't a good actor. He would still try his best.

From now on, he was Dagny Scorpius.

A mindless sheep fanatic raised by the organization Abyss.

There is one only thing on his mind and that was to contribute to the Abyss.

When the door opened, and Dagny saw the people that entered the room, as the real him, he was terrified of the situation.

But as Dagny...

Adjusting his body and stance a little bit, he muster as much energy and enthusiasm in his voice.

" Sir Onyx! "

Onyx, along with his two subordinates Fleur and Mufflier entered the room. Fleur was carrying a fruit basket while Mufflier brought a vase with flowers on it.

It was strange behavior for the two to show some sort of care for low-ranking members. Most people wouldn't care about their lives or give them gifts. But these two people... Despite acting in the role of Dagny right now, he decided to ignore it and just let them be.

The two appeared to be surprised by his enthusiasm before masking their expression into calm just for a few seconds.

Seeing the protagonist's indecipherable expression, as a fanatic of the organization, this kind of behavior wouldn't deter Dagny at all.

" I am very grateful to Sir Onyx for saving my life! For this low-ranking member to be saved by one of the most admirable existences in the Abyss, I am so happy! "

‘Ugh. This is disgusting behavior..’

While Onyx or Kurota Tenji is still expressionless, Dagny notices Fleur and Mufflier's uncomfortable expressions.

He felt sorry if he was disgusting to them with his current behavior but they should know his circumstances. Acting their role for survival. But unlike him, who was just acting, their situation was worse than his. They have immersed themselves in the role that they are playing. Their situation is the one that Dagny Scorpius would want to avoid.

Two 'loyal' and 'devoted' servants ended up being true genuinely loyal and devoted servants who were willing to give everything and sacrifice their lives for their master Onyx.

But staring at them, it seems that they aren't still at the worst stage of their acting their roles. The two people in front of him are aware that they are still acting.

Two undercovers from the side of the law and government who was sent here to the Abyss to gain important information.

In the end, the two people in front of him right now ended up fulfilling their roles as loyal members of the Abyss.

Once you get in the darkness, you can never get out. You would only end up getting deeper and deeper into the bottomless Abyss.

Two good members of society on the side of the law ended up becoming the most dangerous criminals existing in the world of Vacuus.

Dagny Scorpius wouldn't end up like them.

He wouldn't show any compassion towards the protagonist.

As the readers of the novel have said, the most dangerous thing to do in the Weapon of the Abyss was to show care toward the Protagonist Kurota Tenji.

While Dagny was deep in thought, the Protagonist finally responded to his enthusiasm. But it wasn't what Dagny has expected.

" You're sick. "

Pardon?