𝙑𝙄𝙄 |𝘼𝙛𝙩𝙚𝙧𝙢𝙖𝙩𝙝 |

Sindhu Bhavan Road, Ahmedabad

Anupama entered the house in long strides and sat down with a thud on the sofa. She released the breath she had been holding onto till now and rubbed her temples to calm her racing heart caught in a dilemma. The stern and stoic face was long gone and was replaced by fear and nervousness. She felt jittery as she had dropped a major bombshell at the Shah Household. She lacked the courage to look back at Samar's face or the rest of the kids. She was worried about Samar as he is sensitive and emotional right from childhood. He had been strangely quiet since yesterday. His appearance was unkempt and had a blank look on his face. The silence had been alarming for her. She was lost in her thoughts when she felt her soft hands being clasped. It was Devika who gave her a glass of water and side-hugged her. "What has happened? Did Vanraj pull up some stunt again? Why are you so lost? enquired Devika. Anupama nodded her head in no. "Then, What are you fretting about?" Devika asked further. "Samar and the kids." answered Anu meekly. Devika took a deep breath. "The kids will come around. Give them some time. Moreover, they are big enough to take their own decisions. I know the divorce will have a huge impact mentally but if you want you can call them over and have a conversation." She felt herself relaxing at the suggestion and gave a faint smile to her best friend. "I'll freshen up and take some rest as it has been a harrowing day. I'll first talk to Samar and then with Paritosh and Pakhi." with that she walked towards her room.

Samar entered the house in a hurry as he was following his mother since she had walked out of the Shah Household. Devika smiled at the boy. She hugged him and calmed him down. She dragged him towards Anu's room and gave him a glimpse of his mother who was resting. She squeezed his hand gently. That was it for Samar, he broke down into sobs. "Why Her? Maasi, I was small but at times I have seen her crying in the corner of the kitchen. She has loved that man selflessly. She used to be so bubbly with Moti Baa being around her, spreading happiness around. That man has never cared about her or her dreams and aspirations. She has suffered enough." Devika consoled the child who had been neglected and undermined in the family. It pricked her heart. She caressed him gently and soon he was asleep due to exhaustion.

An hour later Samar woke up only to find his mother caressing his hair whilst being lost in her thoughts. He snuggled into her which made her aware of the movement. She smiled. A genuine smile reached her face. She took a deep breath and made Samar sit on the bed with his head resting on the headrest. "Samar, I need to talk to you." began Anupama with a certitude due to which Samar straightened up. He held her hands giving her a push to say the things that were in her heart. "I am sorry, I tried my best so that you kids can respect your father. I know it is difficult for you to choose one of us but I will always be your mother. I am there for you always. The betrayal is too much for me. It is an unforgivable mistake. I do not want you to go to extremes.." she trailed off.
"Mummy, respect should be earned. That person could not understand you. He is not worthy of your love. He has always disrespected you. I know he loves me deep down but that respect is gone now. Mummy you should learn to draw lines. I know that household has been your world for the last twenty-six years but you should realize the difference between care, love, and control. You should learn the difference between duty responsibility and dependency on work. I am happy that you chose to listen to your heart. You chose yourself. You must take the first step yourself. Think about dance and your dreams. I was thinking about teaching you English. Remember, you have your own identity apart from being a mother and a daughter. It's time to build a new identity for yourself now. I am there for you always.", concluded Samar and side-hugged her.
Anupama alleviated herself. Samar's acceptance surprised her. He calmly handled sensitive matter like a divorce with care and maturity. She dreaded that her decision would be deemed to be impermissible by her kids. She would be shunned as Paritosh and Pakhi were always their father's children. Anupama would soon learn about toxic relationships and would abstain from seeking validation from others for her own life. She would soon realize that she is the charioteer of her life. She held Samar's hand and indicated him to call his siblings as she wanted to talk to them.