Chapter 6

"Good evening people!" The girl, probably the lead singer, says into the mic. I like her jacket. Only because I wish I had the guts and the opportunity to be like her. I could never go up on a stage and sing my heart out in front of a crowd.

"I thought you said 'restaurant'" I finally said to Jeremiah. He smiles. Cheeky.

"This is a restaurant. And" he smiles again. I sigh but nod and look at the stage again.

"A bar too, I get it." I interrupted him rather childishly without looking at him. He laughs and then we find two seats by the bar. He orders something I couldn't really hear, thanks to the loud blaring music in the place paired with the chit-chatter from the people around us.

"So, how'd you start working at JP?" He starts up a conversation and I'm forced to face him in the bar stool that is literally inches away from his.

"A friend's friend's contact" I state. He raises his eyebrow as if to say 'really?' or to elaborate but I just nod. What's the point of explaining anyway when I'm already working there?

"James is happy with you," Jeremiah says, smiling. I smile and nod. "Do you mind if I ask where you're from?"

"Do I even have a choice?" I smile. He laughs. "I'm from San Diego. Moved here because it's been my dream to live here. I never really fit in my home country." I say, trying my best to keep it precise and not give away too much.

"I see" he taps his knee as he nods. "Are you happy here?" He asks just as the waitress lands two plates of what looks and smells like lasagna in front of us.

"You should know I'm not a big eater. I'm sure this is a large potion. Can we get a small potion–I'm not sure I can eat all this" I quickly say, feeling a little embarrassed and nervous.

"It's actually a small potion. And it's alright if you can't eat everything" Jeremiah pats my shoulder. He shouldn't have done that.

"It's a waste of money. Someone else can eat this." I almost snapped at him.

"Fine. We'll pack it then" he says. When I look over at him, he's smiling. What is with him?

"Thanks. For ordering this" I wave around the plate with a smile. He smiles back as he nods.

"You didn't answer my question" he brings up. I lift up my index finger motioning him to wait as I swallow.

"I am happy." I finally say. "What about you? Have you figured out what you want to do after college? And why, publishing, if I may ask?" I ask curiously.

"Not really. Maybe become a writer? I'm not sure though. Publishing? I've always just found something I can do there. It's a possible job I could do." He says and I ponder over his words.

"So you're an English major." I guessed. He nods. "I wanted to be an English major too." I say as I twirl my fork around my food and take another bite.

"What made you change your mind? To study Psychology I mean? That's what you want to do right?" I don't look at him as he talks to me, but I do listen to them. He makes me want to answer his questions when in general I'd be a little irritated if someone else did the same.

"I don't really know. Maybe the fact that the world needs someone to care for them?" my subconscious answers for me. He stares at me now. And I mean really stares at me like I'd disappear any second. "I want to make a difference in the world. Even if it's just a tiny one. I want to do something to help. I want to understand people better without judging them. I want to reach out to people hurting. I want them to know that the world is a better place with them in it..." And that maybe they need to know that they are worth it. That no one is ever considered less important or otherwise. We're all equally important and unique and amazing in our own ways. Except me though.