CHAPTER 49: DREADFUL BIRTHPANGS

LEILA'S POV

The smell of the two of them.

Mom and dad.

It was like they never left this place. The one thing I love about this place is their never leaving presence in this cabin.

It was built from the times of the third female lycan whose mate had betrayed her and hunted her to the last face of the earth, for power. This place had been a safe haven for her and other female lycans that came. It could only be navigated my the royal blood and their loyal subjects, that being, their mates, friends and trusted workers. But only when they allowed them too.

I remember spending most of my childhood here with my parents when they got too tired of pack responsibilities. Edward would spend his days in the pack making sure everything ran well. I would stay here and at the time, my parents would just be my parents and not the Lycan Queen and her King.

He had a right to be angry on what I had done. He had so much hope in me. that plan was the only retribution he had and I ruined it

In a few months that I had been here, Regina had been able to navigate me because I let her. I also needed help with the pregnancy. She brought me supplies that lasted me a while. And the last time she did, she told me Edward was on to her and that it was going to be the last time I see her. She told me that Edward had forbidden any of them from trying to locate me. She wasn’t even telling Max or Reinah about her meetings with me.

She explained to me that the supplies were going to last me until when I gave birth but even, she didn’t know when. She told me to link her when it happens so that she could send help.

I leaned back on my rocking chair and watched as the sun rose behind the fresh wet trees. It was going to be a while until it reflected on the lake infront of the cabin. The crickets were now on full alert and their noise was like a soothing white-sound around my senses.

I had been able to train my grasp on Queenie, with her teaching me how to do it also. It was tricky but I was able to get it.

I trained my senses every morning when the woods were calm, listening in as far as the pack could go. I avoided the mansion for anyone sensitive enough to catch my link. In the evening I went for a little walk to stretch my muscles and mind, then come back on a run, with Queenie taking over for a while. At night, I then sat at this same spot and trained my vision, looking as far as the slippery rocks behind the waterfall, far deep within the woods.

I’d started to get a hang of it.

I stayed there with my eyes closed, holding my big belly and caressing it. I felt her kick and a smile crept on my lips.

“You feisty one.” I teased.

She definitely is.

Queenie had grown fond of the baby and had sometimes told me what she thought. It took me a while to make her stop on the subject of telling our mate about it.

“Can you read her personality?”

This one is definitely going to be stubborn…and clingy. She clings to your mind a little too much. I like her.

I carried myself up and walked inside, the moment the rays of the sun reflected on the water. I would’ve sat longer but I somehow felt uncomfortable sitting on that chair. My back was not at ease lately.

I rubbed the back of my spine and winced at the tenderness.

Are you okay? You’ve been doing that a lot lately.

“Regina told me it was normal. Female lycans aren’t easy to bear.” I put a frying pan on the stove and headed for the fridge for the eggs.

I felt her scoff.