𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝟽

-RANDOM MOMENTS-

Daphne's POV

I got in trouble with Alice. It was Emmett's fault. Emmett was talking about how he could take me in a fight and how my fire was nothing. Playing around with me. So he took my hand and shot a fireball at Alice's window. I haven't fully learned how to use it. Of course, she yelled at us for it. So she grounded me and Emmett as if she could keep me here. I was gonna leave through the window. It's easier that way. I was halfway out when I hear someone caring their throat. I turn to see jasper. Clearing his throat, he moved into the room, amusement glittering in his eyes. "You know you're grounded, right?" he called out, instinctively leaping into action when you jumped at the sudden voice and almost toppled out of the window. Jasper grabbed me before I could, wrenching me back inside, arms wrapped around me so tight my feet didn't even touch the ground. He held me there, staring down at me with a look I'd come to recognize as: "you almost gave my unbeating heart an aneurism." You grimaced, looking hesitantly up at him. There was nowhere else you could look in the position he had me in. "Sorry?" I tried, and a corner of his lips lifted before he set me back on my feet.

"What were you doing Darlin?" he asked, hands on my shoulders, my eyes lit up in a not-so-positive way, as though you were remembering something you'd since forgotten about. Pulling away from Jasper's hold, I raced back to the open window and resumed my previous position, hanging my upper body out and stretching a hand towards... something. To placate his rising worries, Jasper moved to stand next to me, peering with narrowed eyes out at the trees and attempting to see for himself what had I so intent on seemingly escaping the bedroom. "I'm not grounded, by the way," I stated as I leaned out a bit more, eyes scanning the trees. Jasper's hands ached to grab a handful of my hoodie, just to keep me from falling. "That's not what Alice said," he told me instead. "Alice doesn't get to ground me. She just-" I put one foot on the windowsill once I'd caught sight of what I'd been looking for "confined me to the house." Jasper relented and shot an arm out to grab me. "You did send a torpedo through her new windows. As she puts it" "One, I didn't mean to. Second, Emmett's fault. Can you please let go?" I ask. "Can you tell me what you're doing Daph?" He asks me.

I yanked at my hoodie, but Jasper did not yield. Finally, I let out a frustrated sigh and placed my foot back on the floor of the bedroom. Jasper loosened his hold but did not let go, all too knowledgeable of my swift escape tactics. Thanks to Thomas. "Jazz there's a cat stuck in a tree," I told him. Jasper's brows shot up. Seriously? Was that it? He spared a moment to rack his brain and come up with any other reason it could have possibly been but returned empty-handed. He blinked. "And... how is hanging out the window going to help with that predicament, Daphne?" He asked me. "Well, my original plan was to climb onto the tree and go and grab it, but I don't think that'll work." I shook his hand, now loosened considerably, from my back and turned to the window, pointing with a finger. "Do you see it?" I ask him.

Jasper stood next to me. It was difficult to see the tabby cat among the leaves, but he spotted it after a couple of seconds, crouched and shaking on a thin branch that definitely wouldn't have held the nimblest of vampires. "So what was your next plan?" he asked. "To just grab him." You crossed your arms over your chest and twisted your face in thought. "But I don't want to make him more scared." Jasper breathed a short chuckle. "Darlin, if it's emotions hindering you..." It took a moment to process his words before my mouth fell open in a victorious grin and I gratefully stepped aside, making room. Jasper had tried it once, on a whim, to see if he could calm the deer he was about to sink his teeth into, and it'd worked. At least, he thought it had. He hadn't been able to ask the deer, unfortunately.

But he'd done it many times since, and his siblings had lovingly tacked the title of 'Animal Whisperer' onto him. So, rolling his shoulders back, he focused his energy on the cat, letting it hum through and out his body and wrap itself around the animal, like a comforting blanket. He felt its fear and soothed it, and, sure enough, the cat, after a moment of contemplating, seemed to gain newfound confidence. It stood up, scanning the branch, and put one paw in front of the other. "Push it towards us," Jasper said, I reached an arm out, commanding the air to help move the cat to the windowsill before the branch snapped under its weight. It mewed softly as the air fluffed its hair, big eyes blinking and completely unaware of the creaking beneath it. I was practically jumping on my toes from sheer anticipation.