The storm

Hiccup soon packed his supplies and donned his armour and mask, then mounted Toothless. They would need to pass a heavy fog bank that bordered the archipelago and the Great Beyond, then stop for the night and keep flying in the morning. They took off, Hiccup giving instructions to the gang on how to run the island while they were away.

Toothless and Hiccup were gliding through the mist when a loud rumble shivered through the sky. Thunder. Soon, heavy sheets off rain began falling accompanied by bursts of light and sounds like the cracking of a whip.

"Bud you okay to keep going?" Hiccup asked.

"It's just a storm Hiccup - there's nothing to worry about. There are no strong gales and I am literally the unholy offspring of lightning and death. We should be fine."

"All the same, we should find an island to wait out the storm on in case it gets worse."

By now, rider and dragon were nearly leaving the fog behind - though the sky had already turned black with night.

Suddenly, there was a closer snap of lightning with a flash of light. They started dropping through the air. Hiccup glanced backwards, his suspicions correct.

Toothless' tail had been caught by lightning and was mangled out of shape. It was their last one too.

"Toothless, your tail! We need to land now!"

They were finally coming out of the fog and spotted an island.

"There bud!"

Toothless put in a last effort to land on the island but they were coming in too fast.

"Be ready for a rough landing!" Toothless roared.

They hit the ground hard, Hiccup got jolted out of his saddle and landed badly on his head and prosthetic. Toothless hit the ground with his wing and heard a snap then nothing more. As they both slipped into unconsciousness, they noticed the sounds of a village waking up. Then, darkness.