Questioning

Stoick POV:

I headed to our new prisoner's cell. But I couldn't stop thinking about Hiccup. Hiccup - my only son who I had banished five years ago. My biggest mistake.

Every year his absence took its toll in me. With him gone, I didn't have anything to live for. No family to defend. No purpose. Even the dragon raids stopped and vikings started fighting over the smallest things. Our sense of unity gone with the dragons. Without Hiccup, I can't lead my village. It's falling apart - barely held together by Gobber, Astrid and the few who care.

In fact, this stranger and his dragon is the most interesting thing that's happened to us so far since the raids stopped. It made me have purpose to lead my village again. Which is why I was questioning him personally.

As I reached his cell (I was fairly sure it was a he) I noticed his strange armour. It looked to be made of dragon scales, accompanied by a helmet though a bit battered. I suddenly thought of a possible identity for this stranger. The Dragon Master. His description fitted perfectly with what Johan had said. He was still asleep.

I banged my hand against the cell door.

"Wake up, I have some questions for you."

The stranger slowly stirred into consciousness and lifted his head slightly, emerald green eyes meeting mine from within my helmet. He released a series of grunts and roars and gestured to me. Was he trying to communicate?

"Speak properly in Norse stranger - you can't tell me you don't know the language."

"Like... this?" The boy's voice sounded raspy and wrong, like he knew the words but had forgotten how to speak it.

"I'm going to ask you some questions and you will answer truthfully understand?"
He nodded.

"Good. Now, where did you come from?"

He struggled to find the words. "Far away here... outside... archipelago?"

"Don't be mad boy, no one has ever gone into the Great Beyond and returned. As it's clear you won't answer truthfully, next question. Who are you?"

"Dragon friend."

I guffawed. "You must have taken quite a hit to the head if you think I'll believe these lies. Maybe I'll kill your dragon to knock some sense into you."

The stranger roared and growled desperately when I said this. "No kill Toothless! No lie!"

"Last thing stranger before this questioning is over for today. Take off your mask."

The stranger looked thoughtful for a moment, then shrugged to himself and removed the helmet using hidden clasps. I gasped in shock.

"H-Hiccup?"

"Should I... know... you?"

.

Hiccup POV:

I awoke to someone banging on my cell door. He had a thick, ginger beard and was heavily built with green eyes. I felt like I should know him but I shrugged the feeling off, telling myself it was nothing.

He started questioning me, asking where I was from and who I was. There was something strange in my memory- for some reason there was a blank patch when I tried to remember past the last five years. Strange.

The man kept questioning me and kept thinking I was lying, even threatening to kill Toothless. Eventually, he told me to take off my helmet. I hesitated. I remembered that I was always secretive about my identity around these parts of they weren't my allies. I couldn't remember why though.

I shrugged to myself. What harm could it do? I undid the clasps and pulled my helmet off and shook my shaggy mane of auburn hair out. The man let out a small gasp.

"H-Hiccup?"

How did he know my name? He's a stranger to me! But then why does this place feel strangely familiar?

"Should I...know...you?"

He looked at me forlornly. His gaze was heartbroken. I wondered why.

"You may not remember me but...a father never forgets."

This man was my father?! Suddenly, I got a pounding headache. I clutched my head with my hands, pulling at my hair.
You're not my son.
Those words echoed inside my head for a minute then it was gone. It sounded like they were said by the man in front of me. But then that means...

"You banished me, didn't you?"

"Hiccup I-"

"I... don't want to... hear it. Did you banish me?"

"Yes Hiccup, but-"

I cut him off. If he banished me then he doesn't want me around and I'm not welcome here. I clipped on my helmet again then took out my sword and lit it on fire. I shot one final, murderous glare at the man then sliced a hole in the cell wall and vaulted out.

The burning sunlight blinded me for a second, then my vision cleared. I let out the biggest roar I could muster to try to locate Toothless and get out of here. I heard an answering roar. I sprinted in that direction, weaving between villagers and vaulting carts. He was in an arena. I sliced my sword through the entrance door and saw Toothless locked up in a cage. I melted the lock and the door swung open. I quickly went to work with the restraints locking up Toothless and clambered onto his back.

"I'm glad you're okay bud, you really had me worried there."

"We'll get ready to be more worried, my tail fin is torn to shreds and my wing is busted. We're not flying out of this mess any time soon."

I growled in frustration. How are we going to get away now!

"We could go to the cove for my wing to heal and to hide from the Vikings." said Toothless.

"Cove?" I echoed in confusion. I had no idea where he meant.

"Oh no. No no no no no no no no. Hiccup please tell me you know where we are!"

"I'll be honest Toothless, I know it's called Berk and I avoid it like the plague but I have absolutely no idea why."

"Okay this is bad, this is really, really bad. What can you remember?"

"Nothing past five years ago."

"Well I'll take us to the cove then and then we can decide what we're gonna do."

"Good plan, great plan even." I said without a hint of sarcasm for once. "Just one problem."

"Yes?"

"How are we getting past the angry group of Vikings?"

"Ah."

While Toothless was quietly freaking out about my memory loss, a horde of Vikings had surrounded the arena and blocked off the entrance so we had no way out since Toothless couldn't fly. Just perfect.

.

A.N

Omg thanks for 100+ views, it means so much to me. I hope you've enjoyed the story so far, sorry for not updating sooner. Please let me know if any suggestions or constructive criticism as always.

I just realised Hiccup went from mangled, missing prosthetic to running normally. Just pretend it was never broken and ignore the parts that say it is.

Peace ✌️