The stranger and his dragon

Astrid POV:

There was a storm brewing this morning. By the late afternoon, buckets of torrential rain came pouring down and everyone stayed locked up in their houses.

I'm surprised Berk is still going I'll be honest. Fights break out every day over the smallest thing and tempers are growing shorter. Half the village left last year to look for a new island. They haven't come back. We all assumed they either died by a dragon raid or died of hunger and disease. These past five years have been rough.

With him gone, Gobber hasn't been able to make or repair as many weapons as he used to. Doesn't want to either - says it reminds him of his old apprentice. We're basically weaponless against an attack. We never knew how much we needed him, Stoick least of all. He's been going mad and the village needs its chief. That's one of the reasons there's been so many fights. No one cares enough to stop them from happening.

As for me and the others, we've been taking it the best. Sure we feel guilty, it's just that we're more adaptable and clear headed than the rest of them. Isn't saying much though. Even the novelty of being heir has worn off of Snotlout - that's how bad it is. Or maybe the real world is starting to catch up to him. Unlikely though. The twins are still pranking but it's getting rarer and rarer. They barely laugh anymore! Fishlegs just buries his head in his dragon books - then again that's no different than usual. I'm the same old me, trying to keep things in order and doing my bit for the village. It isn't enough though. I'm getting afraid nothing will change; only get worse. It's not good.

As usual in storms, I was sitting on Raven point, watching the sky. I often do this and contemplate everything that's gone wrong in my life. Always comes back to the doings of one person. Hiccup. If only he had killed the Thor-forsaken dragon we wouldn't be in this mess! And now he's gone to Odin knows where.

Maybe if he came back everything would be right again.

As I sat, pondering these thoughts, I heard a roar and a rush of wind. Next thing I knew I saw a shadow falling from the sky and an almighty crash. I ran back to the village. There was something in the town square lit up by the waking village. A dragon. There was a smaller shape lying next to it. It looked to be a baby dragon but on closer inspection it was a human. A human in our town square.

A small stream of blood trickled from underneath his helmet. He looked to be wearing armour made from dragon scales as black as night (imagine httyd3 armour) and a dragon-like helmet. He had a prosthetic leg in a shape I've never seen before. It looked to be destroyed. Then I saw it. On the dragon was a saddle. One of its tail fins looked prosthetic too. It looked familiar somehow...

I shook of the feeling. The dragon and human (I still wasn't sure if it was a human) looked injured. I needed to focus on priorities.

"Bucket, Mulch,Spitelout, Gobber! Move the stranger to a cell in the jail and move the dragon to the arena! Fishlegs fetch Gothi! I'll get the chief. Everyone else, go home! We'll deal with this tomorrow."

.

For some reason I read all that in a heavily Irish accent. 😂 Don't ask why but it works. I recommend.

Peace ✌️