Legacy Soundtrack

"You don't find that amazing?" I ask Anthony as he bites into his apple.

The grinding of his molars on the fleshy white fruit feels like nails down a chalkboard as I try to continue.

"Think about it. This song was recorded 30 years ago, and the guy singing it has been dead for at least 10 of those," I continue as my own sense of wonder fever takes over.

"The man is long gone. He's worm food by now. And still! Still, his legacy lives on. It's influencing people everyday-"

"Like right now?" Anthony asks in an uninterested way, cutting me off and then,

C-r-U-n-C-h,

and continuing to chomp on his snack.

I shudder at the auditory onslaught.

"Exactly!" I reply. "Right now it's causing us to have this conversation. Who knows how that might effect us in the future."

S-l-uuur-p.

Anthony licks the bumpy core and I close my eyes in an attempt to block him out.

"One day, you could be sitting in your kitchen, 20 years from now and this song will come on. And you'll think back to this very moment."

I look over at my friend and take in his raised eyebrow and doubting expression. He's wrapping his lunch trash up while I wait for any sign of matching excitement from him.

"Why the hell would I remember this dumbass conversation, taking place on some random Tuesday, sitting outside of work on our lunch breaks? What, like a soundtrack or something? That's just d-u---"

Just then, a girl our age walks by and catches Anthony's eye. She smiles and it's like the volume of the music in our ears shoots up to the highest levels. Sunlight catches the highlights in her hair and leads us down and over ALL her curves. My breath catches in my throat as I hear Anthony hold his own as well.

As the song in the background reaches its climax, Anthony grins at the hottness now coming our way.

"Yeah, man. I get ch'ou."