08

Of course, Keynna was not back at the shelter at lunchtime. Early afternoon was the best time. Whether the excuse of having lost her way was valid, she would very much like to doubt. Alone then, when the little sparrows sang. Another thing Keynna downright hated about King's Landing. There was always a bird singing somewhere, especially if the price was right or the right people asked.

"I guess I'd better not ask what's been keeping you, right?" a question Roran didn't want Keynna to answer as she entered the inn and headed for the dining room, where the guardsman merely looked from his meal to the Lannister daughter without sounding sour or reproachful, "At least tell me there's nothing to worry about because something's happened."

"It's not," which was not a lie, and Keynna now faced the man, "I've been walking around town. What else am I supposed to do? If I spend the whole day in the room reading books, it's not right either."

"I'm guessing the walk through town took you past Bottom Flea as well," was heard in a casual tone from Roran as he bit into a piece of bread and Keynna looked over at him, eager to hear what else was about to be said, "Don't worry, I wasn't following you. I didn't need to, because it's reasonably well known, even if your father doesn't realize it, that you have a thing for the prince, as do many other young women. The difference between you and them, however, is that you have long had a relationship with him. Which should be an additional reason why you have no interest in finding a husband."

"You are one of the most horrible people I know Roran," Keynna replied unimpressed, which made the man laugh, "Now I look forward all the more to returning to Casterly Rock. I guess I'll be called the prince's whore behind my back."

"Since you also know a lot of people, M'Lady, because you are incredibly fond of being around humans," the Lannister soldier chortled, but Keynna just shook her head, because she had just missed this news, "It's less bad than you think right now. Last summer, at the Queen's Feast, when you were walking around with the Prince away from the festivities, certain people became curious, and when this morning, you downright mocked Ser Cole, and I know you, the thought wasn't too far away. You gave me the confirmation. It's your life and I don't interfere with that."

Was there anything good about that day? If there had been, it was gone in one fell swoop.