Chapter 18

It had been almost a month of bed rest for Valeria. She hated it. She wanted to make sure the people that she saved were being treated nicely, and that they were happy again. But she wasn't really allowed to leave her room. Or leave her bed much at all. 

She was bored and restless.

Finally, she was able to get out of bed, and get back to a normal life. Meaning she was going to be preparing more for her wedding. It was becoming too real. She was just unsure of what to make of it all.

Bjorn wanted the wedding now. He wanted her as his wife. He wanted a son soon.

__

Valeria was in a cloth nightgown. She had just woken up, and her ladies in waiting came in. Irri came in with a dress. It was to be her wedding dress. It was ready for the day she was to wed Bjorn. 

They were just awaiting her father's return from battle to give her away. She refused to allow her brother to give her away. She told Bjorn she wanted her parents to give her away. As sad as he was to hear her tell him he had to wait longer than he wanted, but he understood why she wanted it.

It was tradition for that to happen.

"My lady. Look! Your wedding dress is finally here!" Irri told her excitedly. Valeria walked over as it was placed over her bed. She touched it. "And it's easy for Chieftain Bjorn to take off you." Doria told her grinning.

Valeria gave her a look.

She saw the four women giggling to themselves

She saw the four women giggling to themselves. Making Valeria roll her eyes and grin. She then looked at the dress with a soft smile. It was a really beautiful gown. She will give it that. The fabric soft to the touch. 

While she was excited to wear it. There was a lot of thoughts in her mind that scares her. Frightened her really. 

She would be losing her virginity. Her home. The place she grew up and loved.

With no idea when or if she can return to see her loved ones. Would Bjorn keep her away from them forever?  Would he force her to stay at her new home? What if he finds another? She refused to be with someone who takes another to his bed when he has a wife waiting for him.

She refused!

She will leave the moment she found out if he does so.

But... Bjorn has treated her greatly. A soft smile came to her face as she thought of how he tried to care for her while she was healing.

It was quite amusing seeing him struggle to do what the healers told him to show him how to mix her medicine

It was quite amusing seeing him struggle to do what the healers told him to show him how to mix her medicine. He was so confused and would curse in his language. She would have to learn his language so she can speak to his people.

Her soon to be people.

__

Valeria dressed in a simple blue and green dress before leaving her room to have breakfast with her mother and siblings. The younger siblings were so happy to see her. Her mother would visit and help her heal.

"Anything from father?" Valeria asked her mother who shook her head. "Nothing yet." She looked worried. Her mother wasn't very welcoming about the upcoming wedding. She knew it was needed, but she didn't want this for her daughter. 

She would prefer Valeria with someone trusting and loyal to the crown like Elrick. Bela and her husband hated Bjorn. He was the reason Valeria was taken and injured close to death. If it wasn't for him, she wouldn't have been, and would be marrying Elrick.

If her daughter had any romantic feelings for the Viking, then it would be forced feelings. Her mind making her have feelings for him to protect her. It had to be. He was a heathen beast who wanted to kill her first born and took her kingdom hostage.

Is still keeping her kingdom hostage.

"Mother?" Valeria's soft voice called. Bela looked at her daughter and gave a small smile. "Sorry dear. I was just lost in thought. I would like to speak to you alone later. About wedding plans." Bela told her. Valeria nodded. "Of course Mother." She agreed.

___

The mother daughter duo went to the study to speak. "We will be out shortly." Valeria said. "Please leave I must speak to her about personal things about her wedding night." Bela told the Viking guard. The guard rolled his eyes and walked out of the room, allowing the door to shut.

"Mother? What is it you wished to talk to me about?" Valeria asked sitting down on the chaise in the study. Bela looked at her. "I want this wedding canceled. I don't wish you to be locked away with that Viking." Bela told her.

"Mother please." Valeria begged softly. "What if I said that I have grown to have feelings for him? Romantically?" Valeria tried. "They wouldn't be real feelings child. They are your body accepting it." Bela told her daughter tearing up.

Valeria got up and hugged her now crying mother. "It'll be ok mother." She whispered softly. "If only Edvard didn't do what he did. You wouldn't have been taken and hurt like you have. You wouldn't be marrying that Viking heathen." Bela said sounding so heartbroken and sad.

Valeria rubbed her mothers back, trying to comfort her some, "This is what the Gods has given me for my fate. I have accepted it long ago." She told her mother. Bela shook her head. "I wish it not true." Bela whispered.

Valeria looked out of the balcony. Tears also filling her eyes, but she refused to allow them to fall. She wished it wasn't true as well. Deep down. If things were different. Maybe if she had met Bjorn in a better way. Not while being held captive.

Maybe things would be better. 

But there wasn't anything she could do about it now. This was the life she gave herself for her people. And if what her mother said was true about her feelings for Bjorn, then she will have to accept it. She would have to.

No other choice.

This is her life now.