Chapter 3: In a getaway car

"Ah my wife....yes...." Kalim's expression goes solemn.

Jamil notices, he saw the sudden sad expression Kalim showed. A look he's known all too well.

"Oh..are you two fighting or something? Sorry for asking."

"No No! it's uh... It's just-"

A sudden ring was heard from Kalim's phone in his pocket and he picked it up.

"Hello? Ah! Sorry I forgot to call you back...Yes Amir is with me already...yes.... don't worry I'm meeting with an old friend, we'll come back home later. Yes you may go back home now...I can take care of everything else from here now. Good work today." Kalim hung up and put his phone back in his pocket.

"Sorry about that. I forgot to call back his bodyguard, I panicked and formed a search party to look for Amir earlier..." He sighs.

Jamil was not stupid. He could tell that his wife was a sensitive topic and he doesn't seem comfortable talking about it. He's not one to intrude, but nevertheless he was still curious. But he doesn't push it, doesn't mean that he grew up with him, doesn't mean he has the right to ask him about something he doesn't want to talk about.

"Uh anyways what were we talking about?" Kalim asked him. Though Jamil noticed that he's probably redirecting the conversation.

"I was gonna ask about where you live these days. I heard you moved." If he doesn't wanna talk about it he won't push it.

"Ah yeah! Actually I live in the outskirts of Silk city...No one seems to be interested in living there so I thought it was perfect. So I bought a land there and built a mansion."

Jamil let out a chuckle. "A sultan that lives in the outskirts of the city, certainly unusual, though I expect that from you."

"Yeah...the palace...it really isn't an ideal place for Amir to grow up in... especially with Father's wives..." Kalim remembers the hatred and jealousy that filled that palace, the betrayal that reeked to every corner, the poisonous venom of those women ready to kill him. Kalim remembers all those time the ladies competed and sabotaged each other just so their children gain a chance of being the heir. It was a toxic environment and he hopes that his son never experience.

An awkward silence was met between them.

"Well it seems like your enjoying the peace at least." Jamil broke the silence.

"I am." Kalim then softly smiled.

And again. They talked for a long time, the conversation turned from catching up to each other to simple things like what they do in their free time, what they ate this morning, or even shows that they watched. Did they do this back then? Even with 6 years of no contact Kalim treated Jamil as if he never left, talked to him casually, like an old friend he got back. But occasionally, Jamil noticed Kalim's discomfort, he noticed Kalim's subtle massages on his temples.

Soon enough night was approaching. Talking for so long, both hadn't noticed the time was late. Amir just sat quietly staring at the shop and people passing by, he was stunned at the view of the outside world. But soon enough exhaustion was creeping with the boy, and so in his father's lap and lovely voice. He fell asleep.

"Amir? Ah! You fell asleep.....must be a tiring day for you eh?" Kalim then chuckled at the sight of his cute son coddled up to him.

"Well looks like my kid is tired, we'll go home for tonight." Kalim kissed his son's forehead and put his hood back on.

"Don't you need help?" Jamil asked.

"Nah I'm fine, I could get him home myself, I've parked the car near here, thank goodness- that's a lot less work for me."