Chapter 4: My love is as cruel as the city I've lived in

Kalim finally turned the night light off next to his sleeping son. He released one last big breath, and he left, closing the door to his son's room. His phone once again rang.

"Hello? Please tell me you have good news..." Kalim pleaded.

"I'm afraid not sir.... Lady Elena was last seen in an airport in the Queendom of Roses. But we quickly lost track of her just as easily. At this point we may have to call Mr. Shroud soon-"

"No! D-don't let anyone know... At least for now... If we call the Shrouds now it may just reach my father's ears.. and that's not good... Just- let's handle things privately for now, if we still have nothing THEN I'll call Idia. Understood?"

The man on the phone seemed reluctant, but agreed after a sigh. Kalim then put his phone back in his pocket. The pain in his head tormented him more the more time passed. The pain was almost unbearable now so Kalim ran to his office room to get medicinal potions. The effect of the potion only lasted for 6 hours and the effect only lasted long after he caught up with Jamil.

Jamil was currently downstairs comfortably talking with Nana, Kalim's maid. Kalim decides to give himself a bit of rest before facing his friend again. After all, he definitely has a lot of questions that will open old wounds. He sat in his office chair and poured himself a glass of water and drank it. He inhaled and exhaled, inhaled and exhaled, and repeated. Just as he thought his stress was lessened he took a glance at his table full of paperwork.

He read a few documents then groaned. "I'll never be done with this in this lifetime huh..."

Putting his paperwork aside, he's less stressed, at least, and he fixes himself a bit, brushing off some dust here and there and he gives himself time to recollect his thoughts. He then proceeded to put a smile on his face and headed downstairs.
______________
"Wait so you're not actually from here?" Jamil asked Nana.

"No, my family was from an island in a neighboring country doing trades here. Then we decided to leave the island and move here. We started a business that ended up being bankrupt in the end..so I ended up doing odd jobs here and there and then soon enough I secured a job with the Asim."

"Seems like a hard life..."

Suddenly the maid chuckled. "Why are you laughing?" Jamil asked her again, seemingly confused.

"Well, you seemed very unapproachable back then. I never expected to be able to talk to you so casually. You look so stiff then."

Jamil felt shy now, was he that unapproachable? Did he really look stiff? Then again that's the result of being forced to be a servant for a long time. He himself never thought he'd be able to do this so casually. He remembers the time where this is all a dream to him. It was silly to others, but to him being able to speak his mind with no consequences or drawbacks it was something he yearned for years.

In the corner of his eye, Jamil spots a white haired figure leaning to a door frame ,arms crossed. Only listening to them quietly. "Hey Kalim, what are you doing just standing there? C'mere."

Kalim giggled. "Sorry you were having such a good conversation I didn't want to interrupt."

"Ah Master Kalim. Well, he's here, I'm sure you two have a lot to talk about. I shall take my leave." With that, she took the empty cups and teapot with her.

"Ah thank you for entertaining Jamil while I'm gone Nana!"

"My pleasure, and I'm sure you would've needed to take time for yourself to be able to present yourself with a smile. Despite everything" she then took a glance at Jamil.

Jamil can only raise a brow and question it as she soon leaves, leaving Kalim to sigh. "Nana...."

"Soo....uh...where should I start?" Kalim awkwardly rubbed his arms.