Chapter 14: A Cruel Summer

Sitting in silence with the sound of utensils clacking. Kalim and Jamil share another awkward moment after a few mishaps. This dinner isn't turning out as they both hoped it would be, well, slip ups do happen once in a while.

So how'd the two lovesick fools get here?

___________

The walk to the villa proved itself to be quite peaceful. Amir hopped and jumped, joyful that he got to play today and Jamil and Kalim walked side by side giggling about memories they shared in Night Raven College. Both were quite pleased with the incoming dawn and expected things to be as peaceful as it is.

Well... two mischief will absolutely change that.

Just as they stepped inside the Villa Khalil had pulled Amir away, while the child giggled, and Najma had dragged the two to the decorated table waiting outside.

"Um... what?" A confused Jamil asked.

"Have fun." Najma replied.

"What is even happening?" Kalim also asked.

"We've set up a dinner for you two."

"Najma- why exactly did you do this?" Jamil asked again.

"Why not?"

"You can't just say 'why not?' Because are you even aware of what this implies?" Jamil pinched his nose bridge.

"Yes, very aware."

"Then-"

"Have fun bro you got this!" Najma throws a pair of thumbs ups and escaped.

Jamil groans, he should've known... Of course Najma wasn't dating Khalil that was just stupid. He knew his sister was well aware of his... circumstances but he had not really expected her to do something about it...

"Kalim I'm so so-"

"It's ok! Let's just enjoy the food!" Kalim smiled as he always did and proceeded to sit himself down the chair provided.

Decoration-wise this wasn't so bad, Najma and Khalil did a good job providing a good ambience. The table is covered by a white cloth with gold accents to the side. A candle was at the center next to a bottle of champagne and it was surrounded by all kinds of foods on which Jamil is assuming to be Najma's cooking.

"Let's dig in! I'm assuming your sister is as good as you in the kitchen?" Kalim serves himself a chicken dish.

"Hah! Hardly."

"Well it's definitely delicious, give it a try!" Kalim tries to feed Jamil with food in his food. "Now say 'ah"

"I'm not a kid." The viper replies

"You'll do it anyways right?" Kalim smiles.

Jamil sighs and eats the offered food. "It's passable."

"Give your sister much more credit, she worked hard for it!" Kalim smiled.

And the whole dinner was like that, they dined and ate delicious food coupled with wine. They talked about various things in their respective lives. For the first time in a while... Kalim felt... Free.

Talking to Jamil just felt so easy, for once he wasn't talking about business, or dodging questions about his wife, nor overthinking every single details of what dangers could happen. It felt safe to be with him. Kalim almost forgot how it felt like to be at ease, it was going to be such a peaceful night.

Eating dinner with Jamil with a good atmosphere, good food, and some good wine really sets a scene for a perfect date.

Wait...