(10) Open Wounds

Chase sat under a tree near the lookout. He had told Skye to meet him there after a mission. He tried his best to calm his nerves. Today was the day. The day he'd confess to Skye the feelings he had hidden for so long.

After a few minutes alone with his own thoughts, he heard someone approaching. He didn't even need to look to see who it was.

"So what did you want to talk about, Chase?"

His heart's pace instantly picked up. How was he already thrown for a loop just by hearing her voice? Her high-pitched, angelic, beautiful voice... He could listen to it for hours, hear her say her catchphrase a thousand times before he ever thought about getting tired of it...

Chase mentally slapped himself, realizing he needed to focus.

"Oh, you're here."

"Of course I'm here, you asked me to come!" Skye sat next to him, "And I just can't say no to you."

He blushed. How could a pup be so precious?

Chase chuckled, "I wouldn't have wanted the girl I like to have not come."

"Yeah..." The Cockapoo giggled before letting out a squeak, "Wait, what?"

"I think you heard me right." The Shepherd looked at her with a smile warmer than the sun, "I like you."

"Like, as in like, like?" Her tail began to wag.

Chase nodded, "I really like you, Skye."

"I-I like you too!" Skye suddenly tackled the bigger dog, resulting in them tumbling on the ground for a few feet.

The two pups stopped, Chase noticing that Skye was on top of him.

Chase chuckled, "I guess you really do feel the same."

"Of course..." Skye nuzzled into his chest, "...I'm so glad..."

Chase then used one of his paws to lift her chin so that they were eye to eye. The Shepherd began leaning in. Chase was seizing his moment now. He had seen thousands of romance movies, doing what he was planning couldn't be so hard right? Just a simple...

...Kiss...

He saw Skye close her eyes.

Just mere centimeters apart, Chase was about to cross the final distance until—

He woke up.

"Biscuits." The Shepherd cursed in his head, "It seemed so real..."

The dream he was having almost seemed like it was happening in a completely different reality. Maybe Skye hadn't been taken and Chase decided to confess despite his worries. But he knew that was never gonna happen. Again, he wasn't risking the dynamic and efficiency of the team for his own personal gain.

He wasn't going to lie, it sure did hurt. But he took an oath to the PAW Patrol, and would want nothing more but to make sure it flourishes in the coming years and maybe even after Ryder and the pups get too old for rescues. Perhaps then, he'd be able to confess to his crush.

But that seemed a really long time away...

He took a moment to register his surroundings. He was currently laid on the seats in the Air Patroller, a blanket covering most of his body. It was apparently the middle of the night, as the inside as well as the outside were completely dark, only the moonlight from outside illuminating small areas of the interior.

He looked at Marshall, who was covered in a red liquid he hadn't remembered seeing before. The white areas of his fur were stained with it, and the Dally was fast asleep.