Six - First Time, Kinda Nervous

___

"Peter, I'm not so sure about this."

The last day at the Maximoff household had been brilliant. Zahara and Peter had become inseparable, Lorna and Zahara had bonded well over their nightly tea parties, and Magda had grown to be rather fond of the girl, she enjoyed seeing the smiles and happiness of her children as she watched Zahara continuously brighten their moods.

And that's what brought us here, an average supermarket in Washington DC, at 6:45pm in the evening, two young mutants attempting to locate the CD & Cassette aisle within the store.

"God, Zara." Peter snorted, as he observed the girl shuffle down the aisle with her eyes fixed to the floor. " Stop acting so goddamn awkward. You look so out of place."

"Maybe it's cause I am, Peter!" Zahara looked up at the boy wide-eyed. "I only came here because I couldn't handle Lorna's tea party one more time, whatever liquid is in those cups that she creates is NOT digestible."

Peter rolled his eyes, coming to a halt as he reached the cassette aisle. "Stop being so dramatic. Now c'mon, this will only take a minute."

The silver-haired speedster had convinced Zahara to try stealing, and the girl was getting cold feet the closer she got.

Zahara gripped onto the edge of Peter's sleeve, balling the material up into her fist to gain some sort of comfort. She glanced over the assortment of cassettes that were arranged alphabetically.

Peter stood beside the girl, clicking his tongue as he checked the time on his watch.

"If you take a cassette in the next five minutes, I think we will be able to get home by next December."

Zahara made no effort to retort, her gaze unwavering at the stacked shelves in front of her.

Peter huffed and begun to tap his foot against the floor, the sound echoing across the silent aisle.

"Lorna's on her death bed now, her age is catching up to her. Hurry up Zara."

Zahara once again made no comment, continuing to survey the tapes.

Peter turned his head to Zahara, then the shelves and back and forth as his rising impatience began to frustrate him.

"Zara seriously. If you don't take those cassettes right now you'll have to break us back into the Pentagon because I'm going fucking insane."

Zahara raised her hands agonisingly slowly toward the shelves, her palms trembling with worry as she thought about the possible consequences and repercussions of getting caught.

Peter swore under his breath in frustration as he used his super speed to gather up a mountain of cassette tapes he knew Zahara would like and bundled them into her arms, going back to normal time.

Feeling a weight in her arms, Zahara looked down and gasped at the tapes in her arms, holding them closer to her chest as they wobbled under her hands. She looked up and narrowed her eyes menacingly at Peter.

"What the actual fuck, Peter?" She hissed, attempting to whisper as to not alert store clerks but failing miserably. "I was literally just going to do it!"

He snorted, shoving his hands into his pockets as he started to walk through the aisle towards the exit of the store, completely forgetting about the stolen cassettes.

"Oh c'mon. You were moving at snail pace. By the time we got out of here you would've been like 100 years old!!"

Zahara scoffed as she increased her speed, trying to catch up with Peters quick pace. "Well we don't all live life in the fast line, do we? Maybe if you just took a second to-"

"HEY! You gotta pay for those!" A voice interrupted the mutants' disagreement. The cashier of the store dashed out from behind the counter and quickly pursued the startled teenagers.

Zahara's heart jumped as no more than a second later she was sitting in the passenger seat of Charles' rental car, the pile of cassettes on her lap tumbling everywhere.

She swallowed down the urge to be sick as she turned to face a hysterical Peter, her head spinning with dizziness and confusion.

"Tha-that was the funnie-" hiccup "-funniest thing that has ev-ever happened in the hist-" hiccup "-history of anything!" Peter hiccupped as he tried to contain his laughter, only to burst out hysterically once more as he glanced at Zahara's deadpan expression.

"Y-you-ahah- you should see your fa-" hiccup "-face right now. When- when you saw that cle- " hiccup "-clerk you practic-" hiccup "-ally ascended f-from how hi-" hiccup "-high you j-jumped."

Zahara rolled her eyes as Peter stuck the car keys in the ignition, starting the car up with a jolt.

She looked down to the multiple cassettes with a regretful look. Zahara felt bad for stealing those tapes -although Peter did practically do it himself- and she wished that she just stayed at the Maximoff residence with Lorna, drinking the disgusting beverages the girl concocted and pretending to converse with the little girls' many dolls positioned next to her.

Confused by the lack of reaction from the girl, Peter looked at Zahara's expression and sighed.

"Look Zara, it's a multi-million dollar company. What's a few cassette tapes gonna do? It won't even make a dent in their worth. Besides, I was the one who did the stealing, your record is still clean."

Zahara smiled, now feeling a bit better. He was right, a few stolen cassettes weren't going to make the company bankrupt.

"How bout' we listen to one of them now? I've got my walkman with me."

Zahara complied, sifting through tape after tape. Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, TOTO, The Kinks. All the bands she adored so dearly. A crimson blush coated Zahara's cheeks as she bit her lip, thinking about how thoughtful her new friend was.

Sure, he did steal all of those cassettes, but he put the effort into choosing all of the ones she liked, instead of picking out his usual Pink Floyd or Rush.

"This one?" she questioned as she cocked her head, holding up the newest TOTO big hit- Africa.

"Anything you want, sweetheart." Peter grinned as he watched the girls' face redden further from the nickname.

Zahara slotted the tape into the walkman, nodding her head to the rhythm as the chorus rolled along.

The two mutants drove along the quiet streets, basking in each others presence and feeling happier than ever.

"IT'S GONNA TAKE ALOT TO DRAG ME AWAYYYY FROM YOUUUUUU-"

"PETER SHUT UP THIS IS MY BIT TO SING!"

"THERE'S NOTHING THAT A HUNDRED MEN OR MORE COULD EVER DOOOOOO-"

"For fucks sake."

___

Hello! Sorry for not posting for the last couple weeks. No excuse on my part really, I just kinda forgot about it like a fucking idiot. Will be updating in the next 1-3 days with a new chapter though! This chapter was mainly just a filler but I didn't want to abandon this story for longer than I have.