Chapter 2

I knew something was off the moment he walked in.

The front door opened, letting out a breeze of air from the cold night. A man, dressed in a hooded sweatshirt, jeans, and a cap, walked in casually.

Despite his normal appearance, I couldn't help but feel my stomach sink. 'It's just a normal guy, no big deal,' I thought. I had heard of small stores being robbed, but I couldn't constantly be in fear. I would just settle on being wary.

I couldn't get a clear view of the guy's face, but man was he tall. By the looks of his tight-fitted jeans and sweatshirt, the guy was built.

I didn't realize I was staring until a voice caught my attention.

"Excuse me dear," Mrs. Grimsby, a store regular, came up to the cashier, "do you mind checking this out for me?"

I must have looked like a fool! I could feel the drool drying on my face. I guess that's what you get for being stuck in this store for so long.

Straightening up, I put on my brightest smile and helped her out. She was a sweet lady. We made small conversation, until she left the store.

By now, the place was completely empty, with the exception of the hooded guy strolling through the aisles. I was hoping to take a quick nap after he left, since I haven't been sleeping much for the past few weeks.

The man suddenly approached the register. Like usual I made an attempt to smile and be courteous, but it was difficult for some reason.

"Late night?" A husky deep voice asked. From under his cap and hood, I could make out ocean-blue eyes. I was mesmerized by them - they were alive yet hardened, I couldn't figure him out.

Distracted by his striking eyes, I didn't notice what he was doing, until I felt cold metal press into my cheek. I tilted my head to see that the oh-so-charming man had a gun pressed to my face.

Panic rose in me. I couldn't just stand here and let the store get robbed. I was going to die in this miserable store. 'How could I be so stupid,' I thought.

Looking around, I saw that I was helpless. That son of a gun manager was too cheap to install alarm buttons. I resorted to my last defense.

My lips trembled and tears clouded my eyes. I made the saddest puppy-dog face and stared up at the man.

"Please don't do this," I pleaded.

To my surprise, the man chuckled.

"Don't worry beautiful," he drawled, "I'm gonna take great care of you."