Chapter 10

My spine stiffened. I didn't dare turn around.

He lied. He had said he was just here to deliver me, hadn't he? What was he still doing here? Was he a part of this... whatever this was?

"Aw... no kiss or hug hello? I thought we were past this stage, beautiful," the devil drawled.

A throat cleared in the room. I had momentarily forgotten that the graying man was even in the room. Stupid distraction!

"So, I see you both have been well acquainted," the old man spoke calmly. "Pardon my manners, I didn't introduce myself. I'm Victor Case. An entrepreneur, you could say... of sorts," he chuckled.

"Why don't you just call us ice-cream shop owners while you're at it, old man?" that pesky voice interrupted.

Victor let out a sigh, shaking his head.

"I don't believe my son has properly introduced himself," he started.

Son?! I could see the resemblance now. They didn't have the same eyes - I assumed the liar's eyes came from his mother. But everything else - the squared jaw, aristocratic nose, thick wavy hair - they were practically identical!

"Well excuse me, I was just waiting for the right time," he whined childishly, then cleared his throat. "Holden Case," he reached out and kissed my hand. "But everyone calls me Hoe. For short."

I choked out a sound, then shot him a glare. Very mature.

"Please excuse my son's behavior... He could be quite a handful at times," Victor gave him a look.

"Just lightening up the mood, dear father. Anyways, I'm his heir, we're the mafia, yadda yadda..." Holden trailed.

The mafia. Mafia? Like in the movies...?

My mind must have been crazy. I suddenly let out a loud laugh.

The father and son duo gave me amused stares.

"You expect me to believe that crap?!" I choked out in between giggles, "So what's really going on here? Am I on one of those hidden camera shows?" I started to look around.

"Believe what you want. But we won't stand here and watch you ridicule us."

Something caught in his rather chilling tone. The mood of the room suddenly shifted.

I shot him a nervous glance, my eyes trailing over to my flawless kidnapper once again.

Something was going on here... and I was right in the middle of it.