Chapter 5

The next few times I gained consciousness, they were brief.
A bright light here, a shadow there, some hushed conversations, before I succumbed to sleep.

My entire body felt heavy. I was sore all over, my head pounding. Though, I could safely say it wasn't all that bad. I've had worse days.

I forced my eyes to blink through the light. It wasn't blinding - more like the early-morning sun shining through the curtains.

I attempted to stretch, then realized my mistake as my hands were tied to the back of a chair I sat in. Wincing, I surveyed my surroundings.

I was pretty sure this was a motel room. The bed looked dirty and used, the curtain a yellow-ish color. But what caught my attention was a door slightly-opened.

It seemed to be a bathroom, with some residual steam coming out. Someone just took a shower. Okay.

Blinking, my mind dawned on me. The store. The man with eyes sparkling like the ocean. Kidnapping.

My mind was now on full alert, ready to greet whoever came through that door. What was going on?

Just in time, the door slammed open to reveal a god-like Adonis shirtless, with just a towel around his lower body.

I was too surprised to register the worried look on the man's face.

The stranger came closer, gently lifting my chin with his fingers.

I flinched, scared of what would happen. Was he going to hurt me?

"You look pretty beat-up, sweetheart," he whispered huskily. He continued to casually examine my face and body for injuries.

"I'll let you get cleaned up. The bathroom's not too clean, but it'll do."

With that, he walked back towards the end of the room to grab a shirt.

My eyes widened with confusion at his gentleness. What did he want with me? Why was I here? Could I trust this man?