Chapter 4

Sorry for the long wait! School is tough :(

***********************

Socks. Dirty socks. I couldn't avoid the stench. Where was it coming from? I didn't remember my apartment smelling like this.

Thunk. Pain erupted as my head banged into a hard surface. My eyes squeezed open, disorientation and darkness blocking my view. I realized that I was lying on a dirty carpeted floor. I tried using my hands to push myself up, to no avail. My hands were tied behind my back, with what I guessed was a zip tie.

I was in a car. A van to be specific. I could barely make out the dark tinted windows and beat-up leather seats. Panic settled in. 'Is this one of those creeper vans,' I thought.

"Nah. I wouldn't get too comfortable here though, sleeping beauty. We're gonna switch cars in a sec."

My head snapped towards the familiar voice, but it was still too dark to see him. By now, my mind was whirling with questions and fear. Who was this man? What am I doing here? Where was I going?

"I'M TOO YOUNG TO DIE," I blurted. Damn you, stupid mouth. "I STILL HAVE A LOT TO LIVE FOR YOU KNOW? I KNOW MY CASHIER SKILLS WEREN'T ALL THAT GREAT BUT LIKE COME ON, THIS WAS MY FIRST JOB FOR GOD SAK-"

My rant was cut off by a deep chuckle.

"I'm sure you do. But I gotta do my job here. Bear with me."

And the car suddenly swerved. My body was thrown to the other side of the van, and me being without arms took the full force of the impact. Before I could recognize what was happening, my legs hit the side first, then my head whip-lashed into the window. Darkness overcame me once again.