🥀Chapter 4 . Backstory Time🥀

It was 2am in the morning and you carefully get out of your room. You indeed were slightly hungry and since it was late you thought sir Cuphead was asleep. You snuck out of your room and went to roam around the castle. A cold breeze slid over your body and you shivered. "Hello there, who are you?" A young voice called. You looked around frantically to see who the voice belonged to. "Who are you? Where are you??" You asked rather scared from the anonymous voice. "Oh, how silly of me! I'm Mugman, Cuphead's younger a more responsible brother." The voice called. "The boy from the painting?" You asked and you heard a soft 'Mhm!'. You kept looking around to find where he was standing / floating. "No need to look around, hehe! I'm only a voice, my body is still in the painting." Mugman reassures me. "But anyway, where are you heading?" He asks kindly and you smile weakly. "Well.. I am getting a bit hungry now-" You giggle as you feel your stomach growl. "Oh, the dining room is at the end of the hallway! At the big white doors, I'll make sure they'll make you a nice meal Miss!" He beams as you feel his presence fade away. 

You skip over to the large doors at the end of the hallway and carefully open them. When you entered you couldn't comprehend what you just walked into!

"All this in less than 20 seconds??" You gasped as the candles were lighten up by themselves

"All this in less than 20 seconds??" You gasped as the candles were lighten up by themselves. At the end of the table you saw Sir Cuphead with a warm, yet nervous smile. "Oh, and you're here.." You groaned. "I.. uhhh... May have been a total rude ass man to such a nice young lady.." He starts standing up from his chair, putting his hands behind his back. "Yeah.. you have been." You say in the most casual yet sarcastic way ever. "And it probably takes time before you forgive me.." He continues. "Positive." You nod, crossing your arms. "But I wanna make it up to you, by giving you a nice meal!" He crooks a soft, nervous smile. "Hmmm.." You hum as you tap your index finger dramatically against your chin. "Okay! I accept your apology, but under one condition!" You say and he nods. "Anything." He says. You sit down on your chair. "Tell me what actually happened to you all those years ago." You say taking anything you like from the table. "I only know the story as a children's tale to scare them off, to not go into the woods alone." You say and he nods. 

"Well.. It all began from the day me and my brother kicked the Devil's ass and returned to our hometown." Cuphead started as you both start to eat the food. "I first gambled me and my brother's souls away.. I- Kinda have a gambling problem." He says and you nod. "We did defeat him, and burned our soul contracts. But he couldn't complete the five stages of grief, and stopped at anger. Don't ask how we got to live in such a huge castle, our caretakers house suddenly turned into a castle!" "Seems rather normal here?" "Guess that's true- Now, me and Mugs thought it'd be fun to start acting like royalties, but our dear Elder Kettle died because of age and that's when things escalated..." He pauses to take a sip of his drink and you stir your hot chocolate.

Before he continues he sighs softly. "I couldn't accept the fact that he's gone and started gambling more and more in my private room, if I won I laughed.. if I lost well I only got really mad and started to throw with stuff. One day, when it was a really stormy day someone knocked on my- Our castle doors... It was an old lady who looked for shelter. Mugman of course with his kind heart let her in and helped her." He stops for a moment while I listened in peace and silence, munching on the delicious food. "My failed, broken and dark soul commanded her to leave as soon as I laid my eyes on her. She transformed into the Devil, who was in a disguise as the elderly woman and punished me for being selfish after I defeated him.. And maybe it was a bit of a revenge for defeating him and burning my and my brother's Soul Contracts..." He mutters lowering his head. 

It was all a bit too much but I understood. "Where is your soul now..?" I asked softly and his head slowly went up, looking at me. "Come, please.. I'll show you." He said walking over to me and offering his hand. I carefully took it and he lead us to the highest tower of the castle. "It's right behind this door.. Do not touch anything!" He growls and I nod, holding my hands up in defense. He opens the door, revealing a normal bedroom with bunkbeds, posters of pirates and what not, colorful flags and a lot of stuff on the ground. My eyes land on a glass with a small dimmed light in it. "There it is..." He says softly, almost sad.. I carefully walk towards the glass and I see a small soul inside. It looks like it's dying! "This is..-" He finishes me. "Yes.. my soul... And I can only get it back if someone could simply love me for who I am today... A monster.." He mutters walking over to the small round window, looking out of it. "A-and you're hoping.. I could be that person..?" I ask carefully and he sighs, dropping his head again. "I didn't before.. My brother's soul convinced me. But after what I did to you.." He didn't finish and I walk over to him slowly, putting my hand on his back carefully. 

"You may have done those things.. But I'm probably the first one you ever told this so..." I shrug. "I might give you a chance." I smile and he looks at me in surprise. "W-wait.. You really mean it..?!" He asks in disbelieve and I nod. "You made me a delicious meal just now, it showed me more than I've seen from you in the past 7 hours or so." I giggle and he chuckles softly. "Guess that's true.." He smiles softly and I clap my hands together. "Alright, love lessons for beginners!" I smile and he groans. "Oh no.. You're one of those women aren't you?" And I nod with a playful grin. "This is gonna be the death of me.." He groans again face palming himself. "Uh no, the only one who's gonna be the death of you is yourself! Thanks to me, you're gonna live!" I grin and he sighs. 

"You're right.. So, lesson number one?"
"How to respect a lady!"
"Great, just great.."

🥀End of chapter 4...