|Chapter VII: Talking|

"You don't have any of the necessary clearance to see Protocol Five?" Scout asked and she was speaking through her cell phone that was set to speaker, as she cooked her food and spoke to the voice of Jana on the other end of the phone. "Didn't Imara give you the access to all areas, the same access to everything that I have?"

"I thought so. But all that I am getting from this, is a notice of "Action Taken: Protocol Five" and then "Access Denied" when I try to see what it actually is." Jana explained and Scout sighed.

"I can tell you what it usually means in layman's terms for Segolia. But you will have to find out from Imara, just what happened with regards, to the Covaci house fire." Scout said as she shut off the stovetop and the oven, as she pulled her food out and onto the counter.

"I'm listening.." Jana replied.

"So am I!" Came TJ's irritating voice from somewhere in behind Jana, and Scout sighed.

"I don't suppose, that you can get rid of TJ before I start talking about this... can you?" Scout asked, having a very clear gut feeling in her, that she was going to get a pass on that one.

"Nope, sorry." Jana replied and Scout growled in annoyance at the words as she sighed.

"Fair enough. Protocol Five is basically the instruction to go through the wreckage and destroy or erase the possible signs that could point to Matei or Emilia being wolfbloods, or their family. Like, they would have destroyed the cellar, for example, if it had still been standing. But again, as for the order being executed in their house fire situation, you would have to ask Imara. I don't even have any clue about the cleanup for that sort of situation..." Suddenly Scout heard a knock on the door and she looked up, as she growled faintly. "I will call you back." Scout said and hung up.

She grabbed a steak knife from the block and her eyes burned, as she was carefully making her way to the door.

Scout opened the door and sighed at the sight of Matei standing there. "Are you planning to stab someone?" He asked and she looked at the knife that she held, as she shook her head.

"What do you want?" Scout asked as Matei just walked right in and Scout's eyes rolled. "Oh sure Matei, come right on in." She said and shut the door behind him.

"Can I come in then?" It was kind of hard to tell if Matei was joking by that statement and she narrowed her eyes at him, before she rolled them quickly at the words.

"Very funny. What do you want? I'm kinda busy at the moment." Scout said and put the knife away.

"Oh, really? I can see that you're really busy." Matei pointedly looked around the apartment, seeing all the books and the homework scattered all around the dining room.

"All right, fine, I'm just doing homework. But seriously, what is it then? I doubt that you would just drop in on TJ at any hour to try and just say hi." Scout pointed out rather crossly as she grabbed a pencil and sat back down at the table, trying to study.

"You ran off on us the other day after telling us about what you saw in the fire. We were worried about you, mostly Emilia..."

"Is that the reason why it is, that you are here alone then?" Scout asked and she glanced up at him, and now, she could smell the awkwardness coming off of him. "It was mostly Emilia, who was worried. So why, isn't she here?"

"It is easier for me to leave the house on my own than her. So, I came around." Matei replied and with what Scout could imagine was sheer force of will, the awkwardness dissipated.

"Uh-huh. Sure thing, Covaci." She murmured and looked back down at the science homework in front of her, as she chewed on some of the meat that she had on a plate. "If that was all, then you can go." Scout pointed out around a mouthful of food.

"I never thought that I would see the day, when I knew a 16 year old wolfblood who prefers to go at it alone, rather than with a pack of her own." Matei remarked and Scout didn't respond, and she kept her head down and focused on her homework, as she heard him walking out. "See you at school." He said and the door shut behind him.

"You didn't have to hide the whole time, we can trust him." Scout said as she walked over to the door to lock it, as a tired-looking guy came out of her room and Scout sighed. "Casey... you need to tell me what happened so that I can help you." She said as she looked up at Casey, her older cousin who was a foot taller than her and she shook her head. "I can't help you, if I don't know what is going on." She pointed out and Casey sighed, stealing food off of her plate.

"I won." Casey murmured and Scout looked up at him, as her eyes widened to the size of small moons.

"You-you won?" She asked and he nodded. "Oh my god, you beat my dad?!" She nearly shouted and Casey nodded, before Scout tackled him in a hug and she was laughing quietly. "If you won, then why are you so upset?"

"You performed Ansion the other day... right?" Casey asked and Scout nodded quickly, as he pulled out of his shirt, the matching necklace to hers as she sighed. "Could you do it again?"

"Are you worried, that you became the monster when you defeated him in combat?" Scout asked and Casey's hands were shaking, as he looked at her.

"Scout, I didn't just defeat him in combat. Scouty, I tore him apart." The realization hit Scout and she shudders at the implications. "In the eyes of American law..."

"You-you murdered him." Scout whispered and Casey nodded. She looked at the necklace in his hand and she looked up at him. "Get out." She said.

"What?" Casey asked.

"I said, get out!" Scout snarled and Casey swallowed, before he walked over to the window. "You killed my dad!"

"You hated him anyway! We all did and nobody liked him..."

"He was still my father, Casey, and you murdered him." Scout knew that Casey was right, but at the same time, her father was dead and her cousin had been the cause of it. "You killed him!" She snapped and Casey looked like he was about to cry, as he shook his head at her.

"Four years ago, I left the pack behind, left you behind. Seeing you now, I wish that I had just held my head up and stayed. Maybe you wouldn't be so quick to judge me if I had." Scout said nothing, and Casey forced the window open and he was quick to jump out.

As soon as he was gone, Scout crumpled onto the floor and started to cry in earnest. She silently had her head in her arms and she sobbed in terrible pain, grief, feeling like she had just lost him all over again and in seconds, she had transformed and she howled out her emotions.

Far away across the city and almost to the moors already, Casey looked up, at the sound and he shook his head at the sight of the moon, nearly full in the sky and he continued onwards.