Chapter 2: All In

Bucky tried his hardest not to startle her when he entered their apartment, finding her standing in front of the mantle. Her arms were crossed over her chest, hair tied half up half down, and her fingers played with the elbow of her orange jumper.

She'd make a beautiful mother.

Her eyes were trained on the center picture, a printed out cell phone selfie of him, Sam, Laura, and Wanda at Kate Bishop's graduation.

"Whatcha doing, honey?" he asked, swallowing thickly.

Her eyes flicked to his, smiling lightly before turning back to the images. He glanced at them as well, swaying slightly as he took in images of their history. He looked so happy in all of them that she wasn't in, and he knew it was because she was the one taking the picture. She was always next to him in the photos, tucked into his side or holding his hand, her cheeks rosy with joy.

"Just...thinking," she replied, reaching out and touching a frame. The frame held an image of Laura and Wanda cooking, along with the Barton children running around their legs as they attempted to lick the bowls. "We have such a great family, don't you think?"

Bucky inched closer, touching her waist with his flesh hand. She pressed herself into his palm, which he took as a good sign. Looping his arms around her waist, he pressed his chest to her back, squeezing her to him as his chin rested on her shoulder.

She sighed, placing her hands atop his and closing her eyes. "You're back."

"Course I am," he replied, nuzzling closer. He had to bend slightly to reach her height, but he didn't mind. "Doubting me?"

She didn't respond right away, but instead rocked gently on the balls of her feet, and he wished he could see her face.

"Well, you were gone for a while," she pointed out, turning her face slightly so that she could look at him. "So I don't know what I thought."

He huffed a sigh, anger at himself rising, but gave her a smile. Lifting his hand, Bucky traced his thumb along her cheek bone, and her eyes fluttered in comfort. "I didn't...I thought you needed some time, some space. You didn't ask me to come back."

Leaning into his palm, she opened her eyes again and he had to gulp from the look she gave him. She kissed his palm. "And you listened because you're perfect. I just got in my head." She let out a small laugh.

"I am not perfect," Bucky countered. "Far from it."

"But you try," she responded quickly, pressing another kiss to his hand. "That's all I could ever ask for." She smiled at him, and he could practically feel her place her heart in his hands. "Besides, this is unexpected for both of us. You need time to process this change, too."

Fear gripped him like a vice, twisting around him like chains, a fear he hadn't identified before. This child was everything they could hope for, but it was also part of him, and he was dangerous. Would it have powers? Super strength like its father, or the ability to bend reality like its mother? Bucky had sworn to never allow Wanda to go through any more pain. She was done with being put through the emotional ringer. But he had no control over the physical, had no idea what this baby could do to her.

The dread and fear began to grow, and he clenched his jaw. "I'll always be here for you." Bucky assured her in a shaky voice. He dipped his head down, pressing his forehead against hers, hands against her back to hold her to him. He just needed to feel her, needed to know she was there after the anxious days.

She breathed out slowly, her breath fanning his face as she kissed his nose, hands moving to cup his neck. "What'd you come up with?" he asked after a moment, wishing this feeling, the closeness, didn't have to end.