Chapter 7: The Best Team

Sam and Bucky were still moving boxes into the apartment when Wanda sighed heavily, leaning against the wall for support as her eyes squeezed shut.

"Wanda?" Bucky asked, immediately dropping his boxes and rushing to her side, hand on her shoulder. "What is it?"

She inhaled shaikly. "Your baby is strong, that's what." She wailed with a light laugh.

Bucky's tense back relaxed, and he shook his head, pressing his other hand on her belly. "You in there, relax," he whispered. To her surprise, the thumping against her ribs eased and she breathed a sigh of relief. He straightened, brushing her hair lightly. "And you, ma'am, need to rest. Let the boys get the boxes and I'll take care of you."

"I don't think she likes it when you're gone,'' Wanda mused, looking down as she straightened up her body. "It's like she can tell you're far away from her. It's all that talking you do to my belly."

Bucky laughed lightly, supporting her elbows as she walked to the rocking chair in the corner of their room, sliding into it gingerly. "Well, I can't say I disagree with her. I don't like being away from you, either."

Pepper had thrown them a lavish baby shwoer, complete with chocolate duckies and floating pacifier toys that hovered if you threw them. Wanda and Bucky were grateful for all the support, but the whole ordeal had been exhausting, and they'd barely had a moment together before they'd been pulled to another person or event that needed attention.

"I had fun today," Wanda whispered as Bucky knelt before her, carefully untying her laces. "Thank you for being there."

"Wouldn't miss it for the world, darlin'," he replied, pulling her sneaker off and she leaned her head back. "Be back in a moment, okay?"

She nodded, watching his shoulders disappear from view as he headed back to their car to retrieve more gifts they'd received. Lazily, she raised her hand, and the door to her room clicked shut. For the first time in weeks, she was completely alone (well, minus the mini super soldier growing inside her). The apartment has a warm, cool breeze coming from the cracked window, moving the spring air around and she took a deep breath, hoping it'd calm her nerves.

It was almost guaranteed that she'd give birth early, and it scared her more than she allowed Bucky to know, anxiety eating away at her everyday thoughts. What if something went wrong? What if she wasn't strong enough to help the baby develop and it came out sick? And then there were the opposite fears, the more mundane ones. After the birth, would he still look at her the same? Would he still be just as in with them having a family? Would the long nights and longer days of caring for an infant cause a wedge between them? Would he love her and the baby as much as he did now?

Wanda shuffled down the hall, mummering to her belly as she made her way, one hand on the wall to support herself. She tried to not let the nagging thoughts consume her as she opened the nursery door.

They decided on painting the walls a muted yellow, like the sun in the early morning sky. A few tools were scattered on the floor where Peter had helped set up an advanced baby monitoring system. But aside from that, everything else was in place.

After going back and forth a few times, they decided to wait on finding out the gender, but Wanda just knew in her bones it was a girl. As she looked around the partially done nursery, she murmured names they had discussed for both sexes.

"Peggy, Natalia...are you either of those?" She whispered, rubbing her tummy. "What about Timothy? Or Pietro?"

She gulped. Her brother was missing every pin point of her life, and it was a hallowing feeling. He would've been ecstatic to know he was going to be an uncle, a godfather, and her heart yearned for her other half.

"Wanda?" Bucky called, the front door closing behind.

"In here, " she said softly, knowing no matter her volume that he'd hear her, that he'd find her.

Bucky's arms curled around her slowly, having found her at a light speed, and kissed the skin below her ear. She sighed contentedly, resting her head on his collar bone.

"How're you feeling? It's been a long day," he muttered into her hair, kissing the spot. "You're probably exhausted."

"A bit," she hummed, placing her hands over his and intertwining their fingers. "But it was good. The baby is so loved already."

"Very true," he replied, swaying them. "I don't know if we have all the space for everything Pepper bought." He pressed a kiss to her heated skin again.

She let out a breath. "We should decide on a name, you know."

"Nah, we've got plenty of time."

She nibbled at her lip. "Not really...I could go into labor any day, and then--" She paused, feeling like an idiot as her chin began to wobble. "Fuck these hormones."

"Hey," his voice was soft and she closed her eyes, keeping the tears at bay. "Talk to me. What's wrong?" He turned her in his arms.

She pinched the bridge of her nose, trying to pull away. "I'm sorry," she whispered. The baby did a little flip, and she steadied herself. "It's just a lot. I didn't mean to ruin such a nice day."

"You aren't running a thing." He pulled her close, rubbing a hand on her back. "Remember how anxious I was in the beginning? It's ok to be afraid. This is uncharted waters for both of us. But I'll be with you every step of the way."

"To the end of the line?" Wanda asked, her voice a watery laugh as she used Steve's old line.

She felt him vibrate against her in a chuckle, and he hugged her softly, pressing a kiss to her temple. "To the end of the line."

Wanda sighed again, her breathing becoming more even as she dug her face into his chest. She could feel his body heat, even through his clothes, and the baby settled within her.

"Steve would be proud of you," She said into his chest.

Bucky made a humming sound of agreement, draggins his fingers up to cup her neck as she looked up at him, her hands clasped loosely around his waist. "We're a team," he said slowly, watching her face intently.

She nodded, sniffling before giving him a tired smile. "The best team."