Chapter 3: Talking Bodies

They both decided it was best to proceed with the wedding as planned and tell as little of the guests of their unexpected pregnancy as possible.

Wanda could tell Bucky was nervous, as his fear of the unknown was nearly tangible as their wedding neared. She wanted to knock him out of it, wishing he could let himself be excited because this was something that garners excitement! She was determined to make him see the good that was happening, even if it ruptured his nerves.

"I'm going out," Wanda announced, looping her purse over her shoulder. There was a clunking sound from the bathroom, and Bucky strided out shirtless, toothbrush dangling from his mouth. "By myself, thanks."

His brows quirked. "Nuh-uh," he said, mouth filled with toothpaste. "Give me a sec and we'll go."

"As charming as you look with foam in your beard, I think I'll pass," Wanda chuckled, reaching for the door.

"Absolutely not," Bucky warned, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. "What if you get nausea again?"

"Then I'll conjure myself a bucket and puke in there," she replied easily.

He rolled his eyes. Bucky's normal protective instincts had been in recent overdrive, and he had barely let her out of his line of sight for more than a few minutes. While she appreciated his concern, she knew it was over the top.

He had already pulled a shirt over his head and was hunting for his sneakers before she could interject once more. "I just need some air, okay, Buck?" she sighed, leaning against the door panel. "A little alone time with me and the baby."

"And I can't be present because...?" Bucky huffed, pausing his movements.

She almost felt bad as he pouted, but quickly strengthened her resolve. "Because I asked you to let me." Pushing herself off the door frame, Wanda walked towards him, standing between his legs. He sighed, resting his hands on her hips and stared up at her as she cradled his face. "You need to relax, old man."

"You can't actually be blaming me," he retorted, brows cocked. "My partner is in a highly vulnerable state and you want me to not worry?"

"No, I know you're gonna worry, but you also have to realize some of this is out of our control," she pointed out, rubbing the back of his neck lightly. "Take it from someone who likes to have control of everything, even if I'm learning to let go."

He shot her a pained expression. "Wanda..."

"Okay, okay, fine," she muttered, trying to stop her eyes from rolling. "What if I just went for a walk around the building? I'll take my phone with me, too."

He seemed to mule the idea over in his head, eyes glossing over her face and hair quickly. "You're too pretty for your own good, baby."

Wanda felt the heat of his words crawl up her neck and she tried to suppress a grin. "I promise I'll be careful, okay? And quick."

Most women felt slightly nauseous and discomfort at the starts of their pregnancies, and Wanda had found hers to be no different, if not worse.

Bucky nodded reluctantly. "Please be careful," he begged, squeezing her hips lightly. "Just...please."

"Of course," she promised, kissing his nose before taking a step back. She gave him a smile as she left, releasing a pent up sigh the moment the door closed.

It wasn't that she was fearless and he was the only one feeling the weight of their decision. If she was honest, she was terrified. This was completely different from her pregnancy with the twins that had been completely fabricated, maneuvered to fit her wants and timeline. This time, she'd have to wait the full nine months to meet her little love, go through all the ups and downs. It scared her shitless.

But she couldn't let Bucky know. She didn't want him to worry more than necessary. So she buried it down, swallowed the fears, and just remembered to count her lucky stars for this chance.

Wanda exited the apartment building, taking a few steps before she glanced up, trying to spot the window she knew was attached to their floor. Sure enough, Bucky was leaning against the sill, staring down at her. She tried not to laugh at his serious expression, blowing him a kiss before she continued down the sidewalk. Once she was sure to be out of his line of sight, she flexed her hands and flew.

Central Park was normally a busy area, but Wanda knew of a small section that was shrouded with ivy, so she made her way to it. As she sat down on the metal seating, she took in the empty playground, aside from a teenager balancing on bars.

She wasn't sure how she knew about this spot. Months before, she had had such a vivid dream of her and Bucky arguing in this very park, remembering the sky had been dark and she was dressed up. They'd been angry, spewing words she hoped she would never actually say to him. But before she could piece it together, the dream had faded and she'd awoken confused and cold.

Watching the teenager in front of her, Wanda placed a hand light on her abdomen. It was too early for movement, but maybe the baby could feel her, sense the pressure of her palm, and she moved it slowly, delicately.

"Your daddy worries me," she said out loud, crossing her ankles. "He doesn't understand it-- you, I mean-- and I think that scares him. I'm not sure what to do about it." She stopped, then laughed to herself at the odd look on the teenager's face. It probably looked like she was talking to herself. "We are quite the spectacle," she mumbled lowly, and couldn't help but smile.

The teenager stopped staring and continued trying to balance on the thin bar. His foot slipped and he toppled to the side, swearing.

"Are you going to be that reckless?" Wanda asked, her fingers still moving. "I hope not. Your daddy might actually have a heart attack if you are."

On her trek back to the apartment, she decided to walk, taking her time and enjoying the sunshine on her skin. She halted in front of a newspaper stand, scanning the minimal selections.

"Can I get that one please?" she asked the vendor, gesturing to a blue pamphlet.

He nodded, handing her the paper and she paid, thanking him. "Congratulations," the vendor said cheerily. "If it's for you, anyways."

Wanda smiled so wide her cheeks hurt.

When she returned to the apartment, Bucky was pacing the living room, eyes landing immediately on the blue pamphlet in her hand.

"There's no cart vendors on our block," he pointed out, trying to keep the grit out of his voice.

She shrugged sheepishly, holding it out to him. "Maybe I got a little adventurous?"

"For the love of God--" Bucky groaned, raking his hand down his face but took it. "What's this?"

"Something to help calm your nerves, old man," Wanda laughed, arching her toes to give him a kiss on the cheek.

He flipped over the informational paper quickly before settling on the couch to read. Wanda curled up beside him, tucking her feet beneath her before drifting into a light nap, the small walk actually exhausting her just a bit.

Bucky finished reading the What to Expect When You're Expecting pamphlet in under an hour.