Chapter 6: Week 20

Wanda had always been a light eater, picking at her food rather than eating it. But as her twentieth week approached, she found herself ravenous, finishing her plate every meal and sometimes requesting seconds.

Bucky was more than happy to oblige to her cravings, happy she was consuming enough food for herself and the baby. Upon his multitude of research, he'd found that it was a common method to eat five small meals throughout the day to insure a consistent flow of calories, and he was perfectly fine with constantly cooking.

"Good morning, husband," Wanda said, grinning like a child as she turned to walk up behind him, looping her arms around his waist. "What's for breakfast?"

"Thought I'd try my hand at homemade waffles," he replied, focusing on the bowl in his hands as he whisked. "Grab me the strawberries? Gonna put them on top." Wanda made a delighted sound, speeding to the fridge and swinging the door open. "Hey, hey, slow down."

While still small, she was larger than most women at twenty weeks, the fetus apparently growing quicker than a normal baby, and Bucky insisted she be careful with her movements. During her weekly appointments, Bruce had lightly broached the topic of labor induction, or perhaps a scheduled C-section, and while it scared him, Bucky agreed whatever was best, they would do.

Placing a plastic bowl of strawberries on the counter, Wanda peered up at him, beckoning with her hand. He chuckled and leaned down so she could kiss him.

"These should be done soon," he said as he pulled back. "Why don't you prop your feet up till they're ready?"

"I was just laying down." Wanda shrugged, brushing her hair from her face. "I need to move, just a little."

He eyed her, but nodded. She was getting stir crazy, he could tell.

The moment he placed the whip cream and strawberry waffles in front of her, she dug her fork in, slicing the dough into smaller chunks and popping them in her mouth. Bucky folded his arms, leaning against the counter as he waited for her judgment.

She chewed thoughtfully, her eyes going wide as she leaned back in satisfaction. "Have I mentioned that I love you?" she sighed, licking the whip cream from her thumb.

Bucky nodded happily. "You've mentioned it once or twice," he laughed, turning the faucet on as he loaded the dirty dishes into the sink.

Wanda pouted, taking another bite. "Say it back."

"I love you, Wanda," he said almost immediately, placing a cleaned plate on the sink. "Finished with your plate?" She nodded, so he took it from her.

She moved slowly to the couch, Bucky watching to make sure she didn't land too hard as she sat. Sighing, she gave him a look, and Bucky tried not to grin as he recognized a new and tell-tale type of hunger in her eyes.

As he shifted about the sink with his back to her, he could hear the slight woosh that meant she was levitating. "Wanda."

"Yes?"

"You know you're not nearly as quiet as you think, especially to me," he stated, still not turning around as he dried a bowl. "What did we say about levitation?"

He heard her sigh, nodding as her feet touched the floor once more. "Can you hear this?" she asked, and he shifted, listening.

Nothing.

Panic bubbled in his chest. He whipped around to her standing there, holding her breath. Her eyes crinkled as she collapsed into a fit of giggles and he rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, yeah, very funny. You got me," he mused and she hugged him, her hands pressed into his back as he looped around his shoulders. "But please keep breathing, if not for my sake then for the little love."