Chapter 4: A Visit Before the Bells

Wanda really didn't want to call him. She really, really wanted to avoid it and soldier through it all on her own. But as she heaved up for the fourth time in under ten minutes, she figured it was very logical to ask him to pick her up some ginger ale.

"Hello?" Bucky's voice came through the receiver.

"Hey, you," she said weakly, holding her face over the toilet bowl just in case the nausea hit again. "Can you pick me up some ginger ale?"

"Sure, anything else?" he replied, and she leaned against her forearm.

Wanda opened her mouth to reply, before she felt a new wave hit her and she lurched forward, spilling her contents into the bowl.

The sound Bucky made was incomprehensible, but the line went dead and she groaned, knowing he had dropped everything and was making his way home at lightning speed.

Ten minutes later, the front door busted open, with Bucky racing into the bathroom, footsteps heavy and purposeful. She heard him pause at the door, his breathing quick.

"Hey, sweetheart," he said softly, squatting beside her crouched figure before reaching up and pulling the toilet handle. "What's wrong?"

"Morning sickness," Wanda whispered, her cheek leaning against the rim. "Really kicking my ass today."

Bucky chuckled, and she noticed how his shoulders sagged in relief that it wasn't something serious, something deadly.

Nearing the end of her first trimester was proving to be anything but smooth. Her temperature was constantly elevated, not anything to be worried about, but just enough that it was uncomfortable, and her dizzy spells had doubled.

"How're you feeling?" His voice was soft, and she sighed contentedly as his hand pressed against her forehead.

"Still warm but the uneasiness has slowly melted," she muttered, eyes shutting in exhaustion. She felt his hand move from her forehead to her abdomen, smoothing over the fabric that covered the now slight protrusion. The tiny beginnings of a bump had nearly made her lose her breath when she first noticed, and she adored it.

Placing her hand over his, she gave his palm a squeeze. "Ginger ale?"

"I got Sam to get some. He'll be here soon," he replied, his fingers moving below her own against the bump. "I shouldn't have left you."

She opened her left eye, gives him a look. "You were gone for barely an hour."

"Still."

"We needed groceries."

"I'll send Sam next time," he retorted, settling beside her on the floor, waiting until she's ready. His fingers pushed her shirt up, pads pressing against her skin as his eyes dipped down.

Wanda watched him quietly as her breathing evened out. Sometimes, she wondered how much she could sense when he touched her, how much of the baby he could feel or hear. Could he hear the heartbeat?

"I've been thinking, maybe we should stay at the compound for a bit, have you monitored there?" he suggested, giving her a questioning look.

Wanda shook her head, completely hating the idea of being anywhere but her home. "I like my things, our things, our space," she protested, sitting up. "I don't...I don't want to be treated like a lab rat again."

He looked like he was going to argue his piece, but when the word 'lab rat' exited her mouth, he immediately stopped. "Of course, sweetheart," he replied, scratching from her hairline into her scalp the way he knew she liked. "How about they come check up on you here, then? A little compromise never hurt anyone."