Chapter 9: The After

Being in active labor was something completely indescribable. Wanda could hear Bruce speaking to her, feeling someone move her legs and arms, a slight pinch on the skin between her elbows. She knew what she needed to do, but she couldn't seem to do it, couldn't make her muscles obey her.

"She needs to push now, Barnes."

"She knows," Bucky snapped, and Wanda heard the screech of metal against the floor. His face came into view as he sat down on a metal chair beside her, lacing his hands with hers.

"The baby could be hurt if she doesn't start soon."

"Make sure she's not hurt,'' Bucky demanded, turning slightly. "Do you hear me? Her."

There was pressure on her skin and she shifted, trying to turn her head and arm so she could remove the pressure.

But Bucky grabbed her chin forcly, turning her to look at him. "Don't. You need that, honey. Just look at me. The baby is coming quickly and we need you to push."

How was he so calm? He looked stoic, in complete, solid control.

Wanda blinked rapidly, looking at the doctors running around her, speaking about her as if she couldn't hear them. "I can't do this."

"Yes, you can," he tried to reassure her, pressing a kiss to the back of her hand. "You can do this."

"I-I can--'' She was cut off by a spike of pain, squeezing her jaw tight enough to crack teeth. This was too fast, she wasn't prepared. She didn't have anytime to get ready, they were so ill prepared.

"You're one of the strongest people I know," Buck whispered, giving her one of his award winning smiles. "I'm so proud of you."

"She needs to push now," someone said, and Bucky's jaw flexed, but his eyes stayed on hers.

Gritting her teeth, Wanda pushed through another contraction, an unfamiliar pain striding up her spine. She felt disorientated, almost not believing she was capable of bringing this child into the world. Her resolve quickly hardened when she opened her eyes, because Bucky was looking at her so intently. She could almost feel his strength surge into her through their interlocked hands.

"That's it, sweetheart. Breathe in, keep going," Bucky whispered, his voice the only source of comfort.

She pushed again, her head straining, chest heaving as she squeezed his hand. And for a split moment, there was nothing but blaring silence. Then a cry cut the air.

Bucky sagged against her in relief, cupping both her hands. "Thank God," he mumbled, thumb brushing over the back of her hand. "Thank fucking god."

Through her exhaustion, Wanda smiled.

-

When she awakened, she blinked quickly, the light too bright, streaming over her face. She looked around, relaxing a bit when she saw Bucky leaning against the door, his back to her as he talked to someone she couldn't see.

"Where's the baby?" Wanda asksed, shifting.

They didn't hear her, confining their conversation, and she strained to sit up, leaning on her side.

"James, where is the baby?" she demanded.

Bucky whirled around at the sound of his given name. He was by her side in a second, hands lacing together as he smiled. "They're cleaning her up," he answered, eyes shining. "Don't worry. Banner is handling the whole thing. She's in good hands."

She. They had a little girl.

"Sorry for the wait, she just needed some cleaning." Bruce approached the bed, holding a plush bundle in his arms. He said something else but Wanda was no longer listening, her entire focus on the baby carefully placed in her arms. Small and pink, already sound asleep, their daughter was absolute perfection.

Bucky moved his flesh hand lightly atop her head, his fingers dipping to her neck, and Wanda looked up at him. His face was soft, open, a new love showing in his eyes.

"A girl," he hummed, searching Wanda's face before turning to the bundle in her arms. "We have a little girl."

A thought wormed its way onto wanda and she blurted, "Your sister. What was her name?"

Bucky was still staring as he answered with, "Becca."

Wanda glanced down again, raising a hand to run a finger down her baby's cheek. "Your name is Beck, little love," she whispered, surprised at how soft she was.

Bucky turned to her, beaming, before pulling her to him gently, kissing her mouth and Wanda sighed with relief.

"We're going to be okay, right?" Wanda asked tiredly.

Bucky nodded, easing next to her on the bed and cradled Beck's head gently, the base of her head fitting easily into his palm. "We're going to be just fine," he whispered, eyes bouncing between hers and Beck's. "Me, you, and our little love."