Chapter 5: An Exchange of Air

Bucky wasn't sure he had ever been this nervous. He had his life threatened multiple times, fallen from a train and basically died, was turned to dust during the Blip, and had a literal appendage ripped from his anatomy.

And still he couldn't find anything to compare this feeling to.

The church was brewing with low mummers, guests finding their seats and straightening their clothing. It was a small crowd, still too many in his book, but Wanda had insisted that everyone invited needed to be there, and of course he'd agree with her.

Behind him, Sam patted him lightly on the shoulder. "You ready?"

He took a shaky breath. "Damn straight."

"Don't swear in front of the priest."

Bucky paled, glancing at the elderly man in robes.

Sam laughed, shaking his head. "Relax, it's gonna be fine. She's probably just as nervous, but I have no doubt in you two."

"Was that a compliment?" Bucky asked, raising a brow.

Sam rolled his eyes, scoffing. "Don't get used to it."

Then, the piano started, making the crowd stand up, all attention directed to the back of the church, and he felt his back move a little straighter. He'd been prepping for this moment for months, had practiced how he would smile and how his words would sound. His head went blank when he saw her.

She was dressed in a white, with a smile so large her eyes crinkled slightly. Clint by her side, she was holding his arm with one of hers, the other carrying a bouquet of flowers wrapped in blue.

He had a slight hope that he would be able to keep it together. He quickly felt that hope evaporate completely. Slapping a hand over his mouth, Bucky made a weak attempt to muffle the small sob that escaped his lips, blinking quickly as he kept his eyes trained on her, the reality of this action hitting him full force.

She was going to marry him; she was walking down the aisle to meet him, to claim him as her own and her as his, and it was overwhelming.

He stared openly as they walked, willing himself to commit this to memory. His mind could be wiped again and he knew he wouldn't ever forget this, how she looked now. She was stunning, the lowlight glowing behind her and bathing her in warmth.

He'd spent so many years in the dark, blindly searching for direction. War and chaos had nearly taken him, plunging the icy cold loneliness into his veins at every turn. But as he looked at her, there was a shift.

Her smile gentled, green eyes only on him, and he could feel the nightmare slowly ending. As she moved closer, he knew that she was the love of his life, and he soaked her all in. From her delicately pinned hair to the slight bump in her dress, and he was overcome with emotion again.

Bucky tried to breathe, sniffling slightly and relaxing his shoulders and she smiled at him, chuckling to herself.

We love you, she mouthed, pressing the hand holding the flowers to her abdomen.

He sobbed once more.

Love had never been in the cards for him. It was too much, too risky, too unknowing, a basic means to an end. But as she approached him, Clint helping her to the podium and Pepper taking her flowers, he knew he had it all backward.

Love was shining, and Wanda's shined brighter than he had ever seen before.

She gave Clint a kiss on the cheek, her hand shaking as he let her go, and Bucky held out his hand as they gave one another a firm handshake.

Bucky thought he'd been the happiest when he'd dropped down to one knee in her small room in the compound, her face giving him the answer before she had verbalized it. She'd thrown herself in his arms, kissing him harshly as she'd said yes against his lips.

But as Wanda slipped her hands in his, the priest beginning the ceremony speeches, he knew he was wrong.

He tried his best to bite down the tears for the duration of the ceremony. She shot him a reassuring squeeze, her eyes damp, and tugged her vows from the hem of her sleeve, releasing one of his hands.

"Anyone who really knows me, knows I don't believe in soulmates," Wanda said, her voice bouncing off the quiet walls of the church. "But for so long, I wondered if I would ever find that peace that my parents had always talked about. My mother was my father's best friend. I watched them fall in love every morning over breakfast, sweet comments being made before bed, and longing looks cast over the dishes as we washed. And for the record, Pietro never did them."

The crowd laughed softly, and Bucky felt a pang that was visible on Wanda's face from the mention of her brother.

"I have felt so much loss these past few years, as we all have. I thought about it after I came back and woke up alone, that...that was it. It was my destiny to be alone." She swallowed, and Bucky squeezed her hand, urging her along. "But then three years ago, I turned to a friend for comfort, finding everything I had been looking for my whole life. The future is before us, and..." She paused, looking up from her paper.

And the smile she gave him made his breath catch.

"I cannot wait to spend it with you."

Bucky felt his eyes well and sniffed as she handed her vows to Pepper. Clearing his throat, he grips both her hands. She gave him an odd look that quickly changed to one of surprise, and he grinned. He'd hoped she'd be impressed by him memorizing them.

"I don't have nearly as much to say as you do, but yet again you probably guessed that," Bucky began, glad his voice wasn't wobbling. "Today's the day that my life begins. All my life I've been just me, just some kid from Brooklyn that got drafted. Just a smart mouthed kid, and today, I'm a husband. I am becoming someone who will be accountable for others other than myself."

Wanda's eyes were wide, beckoning him on. "Today I'm accountable to you. To our future, to all the possibilities that our marriage has to offer. I won't lie and say I'm not afraid, because believe me, I'm terrified." Sam coughed behind him and Bucky couldn't help his eye roll as Wanda giggled. "But no matter how afraid I am, I know I'm ready. I'm ready to take on this life, take on responsibility and possibility, with you by my side. Wanda, our life is starting today and honestly? I can't fucking wait."

If she weren't so emotional, Bucky knew Wanda would've nudged his arm for swearing in front of guests and their kids; but she was crying instead, sparkling tears running down her cheeks and she squeezed his hands once more.

The priest looked between them to assure they were done and continued with the service. When the rings were presented, Bucky was surprised to find his hands unshaking. As she pushed his ring on his finger, Bucky rubbed his thumb across the back of her hand in reassurance.

"Just breathe," he whispered, and she nodded quickly.

He knew he should be paying attention, should focus on what the priest was saying about loving your wife and carrying a household. But when he looked at her, large emerald eyes shining with possibility, his child blooming within her, no one could tell him how to do his job better than his instinct.

"...the bride." Bucky blinked, looking between Wanda and the disapproving priest.

"What was that?" Bucky stuttered, and he swore he could hear Sam snickering behind him.

Wanda laughed loudly this time, taking a step forward and gripping his collar in each hand. "He said you can kiss the bride, soldier."

Her tug was gentle, and when their mouths met as his hands cradled her face, he wished it could always be this simple and sweet. His tongue swiped her lower lip quickly, lightly, and she smelled like vanilla as he sucked her lower lip in-between his teeth gently.

They'd kissed like this a hundred times, except then she hadn't been his wife. Bucky pulled back just a bit, hearing the crowd of wedding guests cheering and clapping, but everything was muffled. Everything except her.