Chapter 1 | Persacom

A/n: this chapter is a slightly altered version of the oneshot I wrote a while ago.

It seems like everyone in the city had a persacom. Everywhere you turned there was someone walking around with one. Coming from the rural farm areas into the city for university was expensive enough so even though you wanted one, there was no way you'd be able to buy one.

Persacoms were amazing technology, AI robots that were life size and looked so incredibly human aside from the almost cat like ears on the side of their head where their chords were. Sometimes you'd have to do a double take when you saw a persacom because they just looked so real and acted so human like. You felt a little out of place as you made your way back to your small apartment in the city, you were one of the few people without a persacom by your side.

"Maybe I can skip lunch so I can save money for one? No I should eat so I don't make myself sick. Damn... I really want one though, not like someone would just leave a persacom lying around..." you mumbled to yourself.

Walking down the silent street under the streetlights, out of the corner of you eye you saw something lying in the pile of boxes and rubbish bags to be collected in a few days. When you turned to look at it, you almost had a heart attack.

It seems the universe had been listening to you... because lying on the side of the road, among a pile of junk left for roadside pickup, you saw him.

"A BODY- wait..." you exclaimed.

As if the universe had heard your earlier words, you noticed something about this 'body'. Persacom ears on the side of its head. You approached it, flabbergasted. Wrapped up in bandages to keep its arms and legs tied together as well as censor is clotheless body, a complete full size male persacom lay in the pile of trash.

"W-who'd throw out a whole persacom? It looks like it's brand new! And it's cute... maybe it's an old model..." you mumbled to yourself.

You stood there, looking down at it for a moment. It had fluffy black hair, white and blue ear ports, and it seemed to be a custom model due to the Eyebags under his eyes. You hadn't seen one with Eyebags before...

"I mean... if someone's throwing it out I can just... take it right..?"

You wouldn't pass this miracle of luck up. A whole full size persacom just lying there free for the taking, in seemingly perfect condition. Even if he was a bit scuffed up you were sure you could fix him up. Lifting the heavy persacom from the pile of boxes, you weakly carried it up the rest of the street and back to your apartment. You hoped no one saw you, as it probably looked like you were carrying a dead body. Even more awkward was the fact he was wearing nothing but some bandages.

Finally making it home, you lay him on your floor and took a moment to regain the strength you lost carrying him here. Now... you had to figure out how to turn him on.

"Ok... where's the switch?"

You examined his body, which felt like touching real skin it was so realistic. You checked under his hair, on his arms, on his feet, in his ear ports, but couldn't find a switch. How the hell did this thing even work? Unless... it was somewhere under the bandages?

You hesitated for a moment, even though he was a persacom, he looked so human you felt like if you unwrapped the bandages and exposed his body you'd be harassing him or something... but slowly, you did finding a small button on the inside of his upper thigh.

Did they really have to put it there?

"Ok, so I just... press it? Do I have to do anything else?" You asked yourself, absentmindedly pressing the button.