Chapter 12 | L and the chobits

Sitting at your kotatsu, you were on your laptop looking for some good space efficient storage online. Since L had come into your life, you'd needed a bit more storage for all his stuff. And after Watari gave you the clothes he'd had lying around for L you definitely needed more storage.

It definitely wasn't stuff he'd worn, again you came to the conclusion it must be something a previous tenant had left behind because it wasn't the kind of thing Watari would wear. Lots of frills, soft colours like blue, grey and white. There were some adorable outfits in there you couldn't wait to see L model. A matching baby blue pyjama set with little lollipops on it, a fluffy white jumper with panda ears on the hood, a froggy rain coat, leg warmers with pompoms on them and so much more sweet stuff.

L was rather fond of the long sleeves on one of the shirts being a bit too big for his arms, allowing him to flap the ends around.

Looking for a box or shelf system that would fit in your small apartment and allow for more storage, you were broken from your scrolling trance when a message notification popped up from Near. Curious you clicked on it, seeing an attached file and message.

N: Matt scanned the net again for any similar pictures to the last one we found, he found another one clearly taken in the same place. Take a look.
1 file attached.

Immediately perking up in curiosity, you opened the attachment and found the picture he was talking about. Just like the last one, a persacoms almost identical to L was pictures in a body suit type outfit, connected to various chords and switched off. It seems to be a prototype, as the ear ports weren't painted yet and were a solid white rather than L's white and blue. The body suit covered him from the neck to the hips, arms and legs exposed like a one piece swimsuit. There were so many chords you had no idea what any of them did or where they were connected to.

But it was what was on his leg that caught your eye. On the outer thigh, in bold black writing was what seemed to be a logo.

Chobits.

"L, come here" you said, catching his attention from his place across the room folding up his new clothes.

He crawled over sitting next to you.

"Is this you?" You asked.

He looked at the picture, scanning it trying to identify its source. It looked like him, it had the same black fluffy hair and eyebags, the same height and build, the same realistic skin. But he just knew... it wasn't him.

"No... image not in database" L replied.

"It has so be... or a least a prototype of you. It looks just like you, albeit a little more raw with the lack of a paint job on the ears..." you muttered.

You zoomed in, taking a closer look.

Black fully hair, check.
Eyebags airbrushed on, check.
Slouch, check.
Pale realistic skin, check.
The only difference was the ear ports not being painted yet and the logo on his thigh.

You turned to L, then back to the picture. Back to L, back to the picture. They had to be at the very least made by the same creator.

"L can I look at your thigh?" You asked.

"Ok, (y/n) is the only one allowed to touch" he replied.

You gently pushed the leg of his pants up, looking on his skin for any remnants of the chobits logo or where the skin may have been replaced. His thigh felt so real, soft to the touch like human skin and squishy like the thighs of a cute anime girl. He didn't stop you getting dangerously close to his power switch, he knew you were trustworthy and only you were allowed to touch him there.

You couldn't see any faint markings that had been rubbed off, or any seams where his skin had been replaced. It looked flawless. Either the one on the picture was an early prototype of L or a chobit similar to him, or the creator was just that good at removing the logo.

"Damn... nothing..." You muttered.

L looked at the picture again, it seemed so familiar, like he'd been there before. But he knew that he'd only ever been with you as far as he knew, so he couldn't understand why the picture looked so familiar to him.

You sighed, turning back to the computer and messaging Near back.

You: it must be him, or an early prototype or something. And the logo on his thigh? If this isn't fake then it's proof chobits are real and L might be one of them.

After a few minutes, Near messaged back.

N: exactly what I'm thinking. I had Matt and Mello both scan the image data to be extra sure and it came up both times the exact same. It was posted by the same anonymous user to the same forum thread, although we're having a hard time tracking their IP, they must be using a VPN or something. If we can find who is posting them we might be able to get more information.

This was both frustrating and interesting. You loved L, he was your persacom through and through. And if he was a chobit that just made him even more special.

But you wanted answers regardless. Was he really a chobit? What is behind his password in his data? Who made him and why did they toss him out when he works perfectly fine?

You sighed, turning to L who gave you a cute little head tilt.

"You're one big mystery L, but I love you" you smiled, ruffing his hair.

"(Y/n)... loves me?" He muttered

"Lots. You're a special persacom and my life wouldn't be the same without you"

He was silent a moment, seemingly processing your words and what they meant. It reminded him of something... his book.

The person just for him.

It was in his programming to not let anyone but that person touch him too closely, it was in his programming to help people, it was in his programming to feel things. And just like in the book, he only had place his his AI heart for the person just for him.

Maybe you were the person just for him? That what love means doesn't it? Being dedicated to someone who makes you happy and you care deeply about.

L was happy whenever you were happy, he cared about you, he trusted you, let you touch him, you weren't just his owner but his friend.

And you loved him.

Were you the person just for L?