Chapter 28 | L's first case

The programming that told him how to act in certain situations was usually 1000% perfect. Very few things could make him divert away from his programming. But being a chobit, L had essentially completely free will. And if he felt the need to, he could break away from his programming.

Usually every night was the same, you'd set up the futon, put on some pyjamas and go to sleep. L would shut down into sleep mode and wake up exactly when you'd told him to wake up the next day. To prevent from overheating, he was programmed to shift around in his sleep like a normal human would, to maintain temperature. For him going to sleep was pretty much the same as humans, just with the fact he would wake up at the time provided on the dot. No sleeping I'm, no being groggy and sleepy. He only lost energy when his battery was low.

So when he found himself awake at 2 in the morning, several hours before he was meant to wake up, he was a little confused. You were still asleep next to him, wrapped up in the blankets and completely unaware.

He sat up, looked around and tried to figure out what had caused him to wake up. The room was dark, the only light coming in through the crack in the curtains was from the moon and a street light. It was quiet, no one else in the apartment would be awake at this hour. The streets outside were quiet, only crickets chirping.

So what had caused him to wake up?

Did he need to be charged up? Can't be... he was fully charged. Had you accidentally told him the wrong time? Nope, he still had the alarm set for 8:30am. Something had caused him to divert from his programming and wake up, that only ever happened if either he needed something or if he'd detected some kind of danger he needed to be alert for.

He got up, quietly so he wouldn't wake you. Looking around the apartment for anything that may have set off his sensors. Something falling? Something in an apartment above?

He couldn't find anything out of the ordinary inside, so he went to the balcony to look outside. He pulled the curtains open, quietly slid the glass door open and stepped outside. The gentle wind pushed the curtains back, made his hair rustle and his oversized pyjama shirt flow. Looking around, he couldn't see anything out of the ordinary.

The street light was on, the crickets were chirping, the street was empty. No people out at this hour, cars all parked in the driveways, everything seemed normal.

Expect...

Catching his eye, he noticed the front gates to the apartment complex were open. That wasn't normal. They were always locked at night to prevent trespassers, only residents with a key could get in. And yet, they were wide open, swinging slightly in the wind.

Someone was in the complex.

Immediately he cycled through all that data he'd gotten on crimes, and looked for information about trespassing and breaking into places. Was it a robbery? Was it a stalker? Whatever it was, someone sneaking into private property obviously has malicious intent. L couldn't see anyone from the balcony, but he knew someone must be in the complex.

Quietly he put his slippers on, and slipped out the door to investigate. His detective instinct and urge to keep you safe kicking in. His eyes had a night vision lens in them, so even in the dark hallways he could see perfectly fine. He crept through the halls, listening for any noises and keeping an eye out for any movement.

He truly had some amazing sensors if he managed to detect the gates being opened from all the way inside.

"L what on- ah your sensors"

He jumped slightly, turning to find Mr Watari behind him. Also in pyjamas and up investigating.

"L detected unnatural movement and has to protect (y/n)" L said.