Chapter 19 | L and B

It seemed the closer you got to the answers, the more L seemed to gat glimpses of memories locked behind that password he had.

Beyond Birthday... it seemed so familiar. The red eyes and all black clothes, it jogged a distant memory. There was no way he'd be able to remember everything as long as that password was keeping him locked, but small bits and pieces were slowly coming back to him.

In his dream, B said he 'made a mistake' and that it 'ended him'. What did that mean? Was ended him the equivalent of being shut down? Or maybe reset? L wasn't sure, but he had the feeling that if he could crack that password he'd get all his memories before you found him back. Only problem was, he didn't have the means to. He'd surged an entire persacoms last time he tried to hack into the password, he still felt a bit bad about accidentally surging Matt when he tried to help.

In his mission to compile crime data for his future as a detective, he got the idea to look into cyber crime in hopes maybe there was a methods for cracking passwords used in a case he could try. So he sat with his chords plugged into his laptop, running scans on crime databases for any information he might be able to find.

It was silent, he was focused and you were off taking a shower. He was left alone in the living room just doing his task at hand, when his concentration was cut short suddenly.

"Lawliet"

He jumped, looking around for the source of the noise.

"Hello?" He replied.

He couldn't see anything, and it didn't sound like you...

"I know you can't remember much, but I'm here"

Was that... the same persacom from his dream?

"Where are you?" L asked, still looking around and seeing no one.

"In your data, there's only a little bit of me"

Now it came back to him, in his dream the persacom mentioned part of him was in L's data. As if there's been a file backed up on L off the other persacom.

"Beyond... Birthday?" L questioned.

"I knew you'd remember eventually. Find dad, he can help"

"Dad? Who is dad?"

Nothing, no response.

"Hello? B?"

Silence. Seemed B wasn't able to keep talking. L shook his head, feeling slightly off put by hearing the voice of another persacom inside him. He figured that some of B's files must be backed up in his data, which was how B was able to weakly communicate with him. They are both computers after all, they could exchange each others files at the click of a button.

Whatever happened to B, a bit of him must be backed up onto L's hard drive.

L was snapped out of his daze at the sound of his laptop beeping, the scan he was running now complete. But now he was too side tracked to focus on it. He just unplugged himself and put the laptop aside, staring at the kotatsu deep in thought. His mysterious past was behind that password, and probably his code and other information about his system too. A part of B was most likely backed up on him behind that password too. But what was it?

Who made him?
Why was he tossed?
What happened to B?
What was behind his password?

Those four questions were all he had left to answer. He knew why he was built, to be a helper and a family member. He knew he was a chobit. He knew he was able to feel human emotions thanks to his extraordinary AI. But those four questions he had left were eating away at his digital mind.

"You good L? You seem dazed" your voice rang out.

He turned to face you, now out of the shower and dressed up in your pyjamas. You sat beside him, legs under the blanket on the kotatsu.

"B is... in my data..." he said.

"What? You remember him?" You replied, suddenly interested.

"Only a little bit... the more we find out the more I start to remember. But I can't know everyone because of my password. I know that... something happened to him and some of his data is probably backed up on me. But I don't know anything else. If we could find who made me, my... dad, then we can know everything"

Well you were already trying to track down the mysterious creator, so it seemed you were on the right track by hunting him down.

"Hmm... if there's some in B's data on you maybe that's what the dream was. He's trying to talk to you, but only has limited ability because only a little bit of him is backed up" you suggested.

You were probably right, if the basics of B's programming was backed up then he could still function at a very basic level using L's computer. He'd never have full control since L was fully operational and his own person, but B could send signals. Two AI can talk to each other, all they need is a computer to do it on, and L had a computer inside him.

"That damn password, it all ties back to that password. We either need to crack it, or track down your creator. I hope Near can figure out a way to do it... I want to know about you but now I want to know about B to" you sighed.

"B... is like my brother I think, we look similar and we're built to be in the same family" L replied.

It seemed the chobits were built as a family unit of sorts, as well as being helpers. And I'm order to be as human as possible and as close to a real family as possible, they were given extremely detailed AI.

Near wanted to do something similar with his persacoms, he made Mello, Matt, Linda and A to be his siblings. If you ever did manage to get into L's code you'd gladly share it with Near so he could have family chobits for himself. An even more realistic Mello, Matt, Linda and A than he already had.

Persacoms could definitely be a family, they looked human, they sounded human, they behaved like humans. All they needed was that AI to give them their... soul of sorts. You can give a persacom detailed programming, almost human like. But they'll only ever be able to act within that programming. Unless, they had an AI like L's.

"Hey L" you began.

"Hm?" He replied.

"I think you weren't just made to help people, and be a family. I think you were also made to love people"

L tilted his head, wanting to hear more.

"You have this amazing gift of an AI that let's you feel emotions. And love is one of the most complex ones, you can feel it and understand it in full. Clearly your creator wanted you to feel, to be able to love. You were made to love people" you explained.

He smiled, always happy to get praise from you. Wrapping his arms around you, he pulled you into a tight hug.

"L is a persacom of love! And I love you (y/n)!" He said.

"I love you too L, you're such a sweetheart" you replied.

He placed a kiss on your cheek, his lips felt so real every time he did. Warm to the touch, like a regular human.

Just the fact he knew when and how to kiss someone, was proof enough that he was always meant to love.