Chapter 26 | L's favourite books

A lot was starting to make sense now, everything was falling into place as Watari answered all your questions. L's origins, B's fate, the sheer power of a chobit.

And those books, the ones L loved to read. He wrote them too. Watari picked up the first book, flipping though the pages.

"I wrote them because I wanted L to find them. After being reset he had to learn everything from scratch. These books would help him learn about love all over again. I published them for others to read as well, for those who might not understand it at first. But I made sure L would find them" Watari admitted.

"They're L's favourite books! The little panda is just like me" L smiled.

"That's because he was based off you. And the other panda in the second book is based off B"

No wonder. L's eyebags and black hair often drew comparisons with a panda. Both were cute and had the black and white colour scheme going on.

"If I was going to let L start life again, and allow him to forge his own path to happiness... I at least wanted to give him a little help. It was hard to say goodbye to my children in different the ways, but it had to be done. B needed to be switched off for safety, and L needed to be reset to be happy. But now... you both know. It won't hurt him in the same way it did before if he finds out this way" Watari continued.

L was feeling a strange feeling right now, one he didn't quite understand. He was glad to know the truth, but sad that he had a brother he didn't remember who'd had a tragic end. But he knew that if he'd kept his memories and stayed with the first hand knowledge of what happened, he'd be so depressed he couldn't go on. Now it was like hearing a sad story. It was sad but he was detached from it in a way, he could put the feeling aside and focus on being happy.  He looked over at B in his coffin, tilting his head as he gazed down at him.

That was his twin, his family. But he didn't remember what happened. He knew thanks to Watari telling him, but he didn't have the weight of the first hand experience anymore. He could be happy knowing that he and B were close, and be sad knowing it was all over. But both those emotions weren't so powerful they'd ruin him. Like how sad he was before he was reset. It was better this way.

Through his time being with you, he'd learn a lot about emotions. But emotions were confusing sometimes and even humans didn't understand them from time to time. He'd learnt how to smile and be happy. He learnt how to be worried and sad. He learnt what excitement was, and the warm fuzzy feeling of being told 'well done'. And of course, thanks to you and his favourite books Watari wrote, he learnt what love was.

Misa, Rem, Near, Mello, Matt, Linda, A... they're were all his friends. He loved his friends.

And you, you were special. You were the person just for him. He loved you, more than anything else.

He may be a persacom, but he was a chobit. His love was no different than yours.

And now he knew Mr Watari was his dad, the one that made him. He'd always liked the man as a friend, but now he was starting to realise that it was more of a familial love this whole time. He just didn't know it yet.

While he may not have the memories of B anymore, he knew that a small part of B was still inside him. And that after everything that happened. That was his twin brother. He loved B, even if he made some big mistakes.

Finally having all the answers, and processing everything that'd he'd learnt, L sighed in relief. He felt like he'd solved a big case. Without hesitation, he reached out and wrapped his arms around Watari.

"You can still be my dad right? I just live with (y/n) now?" L asked.

Watari was silent a moment. When he left L out to be found my someone else, he wasn't sure if he could bare to see him again. Not with the pain of all the events that had happened. But after seeing him so happy, and growing and learning with you... he was glad to have crossed paths again.

"Of course Lawliet, I'm still your dad. You just needed to find the person just for you" Watari replied, returning the hug and giving him a gentle squeeze.

You couldn't help but smile. L was always such a sweetheart, so ready to love anyone that was worthy of his affection.

"But one more thing... what's behind my password?" L asked.

You wanted to know that too, that password had been one annoying roadblock this whole time.

"Mostly, just your core data that makes you move and speak. But a few other things would be on there as well, the stuff I didn't have the heart to delete" Watari explained.

"Can I see it?" L asked.

Watari nodded, after everything that's happened L deserved to know. The password would only open with Wataris voice, so he was the only one who could access it.

"Chobits" he spoke, a switch suddenly going off inside L.

All of a sudden he could remember a few things he'd been desperate trying to. Those strange senses of deja vu all making sense.

"Oh! I remember! B and I came to a party with you" L spoke up, the images of the memory suddenly coming back to him.

"You did, it was the first time I took you two out. When I left the tech company they gave me a going away party because I'd been working there so long. All the workers were amazed with you and B" Watari replied.

"I had a white and blue puffy top, and B had the same one in black and red... a lady called us pretty and there was lots of food"

It made sense why Watari wouldn't want to delete that memory, it was a pretty big event for everyone involved. L and B's first time out of the house and Watari's going away party.

"I also remember B and I shared a room, my side was light colours and his was dark colours" L added.

"That's right. I initially colour coded you two just so I could tell you apart when you were still in development. But you both liked it so much you kept it up the whole time, you'd both find things you liked and buy the exact same one but in oppose colours" Watari explained.

That was cute, and such a twin thing to do. You could just imagine L rushing up to B with a white pillow and going 'you should get the black one and we can match!'

"Hmm... there's another one but, it feels weird. Like I'm seeing myself from someone else's eyes" L said.

"That's probably something B saved onto you before we switched him off" Watari said.

"The boy... he has brown hair and freckles, and a fringe over one eye... wait, that's A. (Y/n), the boy was A!"

"As in Nears A? No way! So that's why he mysteriously malfunctioned..." you said.

What a small world... B knew A.

"Near, that's his name. I only met him once, before you two were finished. A often ran errands for him, that's why B saw him so often. He'd run errands for me and run into A. I should contact him, apologise on B's behalf" Watari said.

"That's wild, the fact two persacoms can have a relationship without their owners knowing... Near had no idea L was a chobit at first, or why A malfunctioned" you muttered.

It was truly incredible how chobits could have a life of their own outside their owners. And from everything you'd seen of Nears persacom, they could wander pretty far from him too. The fact B and A knew each other and Near and Watari only met once before B even existed was mind boggling.

"After all is said and done though, everything that happened since the incident was done so L could move on and be happy. He deserved to live his own life. And love whoever he chose. Thank you (y/n), for taking such good care of him. I trust you with him, he's never been happier" Watari said.

"Thank you for making him, finding him is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I don't know what I'd be doing with my life if not for him. He makes waking up every day a joy" you replied.

L smiled ear to ear, grabbing onto your arm to hug it and put his head on your shoulder.

"L is the best persacom?" He asked.

You smiled, ruffling his hair.

"The best persacom and the best lover" you replied, placing a kiss on his forehead.

He giggled at the sensation, absolutely lovesick. This is what Watari was hoping for when he reset L, he was so happy to see the once miserable chobit happy again.