Chapter Eight: Dead Silence

"Father!?"

The three siblings bursted into the room to find their father on the floor. He was coughing violently and had tears in his eyes but they couldn't tell if it was from the coughing or something else.

"Father!" Rainbow helped her father back onto the bed as he coughed. "Can't...Breathe" he managed to get out but they didn't know what to do. "I'll get some water" Draco ran out of the room to get water, leaving the two girls with their dying father.

"Listen.... I need to.... tell you... something" He coughed, the two girls listening intensely, scared to even look away from their dad.

"Your mom... she died... saving you" He started but at the mention of their mother, Lunar already knew what he was going to say. "I know father. I know everything" She spoke, not wanting him to waste his breath to explain, as her father gave her a sympathetic smile before falling into another coughing fit.

"What?" Rainbow looked at the two in confusion. Draco came in with the water, all of their attention turning towards him as Rainbow helped her dad drink the water.

He gulped the entire cup down, finally being able to breathe before he let out a small cough. "Your mother didn't just die. She was murdered. You all were in the basement hiding while I was out. I should've been there! Nobody would have gotten hurt, You would remember and she wouldn't have-" He cut himself off, falling into another coughing fit.

"It wasn't your fault! You would have gotten hurt and we would have been all alone!" Lunar argued "The loss of children and wife is hard. But don't blame yourself for it" She finished, leaving her siblings even more confused. Their father started tearing up.

"I never got to see them grow up! I never saw them smile again" He sobbed and a pang of guilt hit Lunar like a truck. Tears escaped her eyes and she found herself crying too. She should have told her siblings everything! Maybe her father would have been able to meet his two daughters before he died. She should have fought harder for them to stay.

Their father started coughing again, more violently and deadly. "Draco, go get more water!" Rainbow ordered making him run out of the room. All they could hear was their fathers coughs and Rainbows voice, comforting him.

Draco came in with the water and Rainbow was about to let her father drink it. "Wait!" Lunar called out. "He could choke" She said, making all of their hearts drop.

"It's... Okay" He coughed out, laying down as the three stood on their knees at his bedside. "I want you to find them and get a chance to do what I couldn't" He said before shutting his eyes.

The room was dead quiet, no longer taken up by their fathers coughs. It felt as if something snapped and suddenly, they all sobbed.

No one could ever understand what they had felt in that moment. They had lost their dad. If they were talking about specifics, Draco and Lunar were orphans now.

A loud bang was heard as it shook the entire house. That noise was familiar to all of them but only one understood. Rainbow was the first to move as she got up to the door, the two youngest trailing behind wiping away their tears.

Rainbow looked through the peephole to see men in suits. Her heart dropped and she looked back at her siblings with a panicked look, which they understood. "Hello" Rainbow greeted as she pulled open the door.

"Hello" the first man responded. "We have reason to believe you are keeping two missing girls. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt for us to look around" He smiled condescendingly. Lunar snuck into her room from the back and Rainbow noticed once she had turned to look at them for reassurance.

"I'm sorry but we're currently very busy" Rainbow responded as Draco stepped closer. "Im sure whatever it is can wait. This is a pretty serious case so I suggest you let us in. Unless you're hiding something, or even someone" The man responded, his smile disappearing instantly.