Chapter Three: Leaving

When I woke up, I was alone again. I looked around. It was

daylight again. My birthday was over. I had spent it in a hospital. But, look on the bright side. I got a puppy and I got to meet Chris Brown.

"Hello? Anyone there? Chris? Mom?" I swing my feet out of bed and walk to the window. There's a jacket laying on the chair nearby. It looks like the one Chris was wearing yesterday. I grab it and put it on. I walk out of my hospital room, looking for my mom in each room.

"Mom?" I call.

A really really pretty woman turns and faces me. "You lost?" Her voice matches her look.

"I'm looking for my mom."

"What's your name?"

"Jessica."

"Jessica? You mean the same Jessica that was in the car crash yesterday?"

"Yeah."

"Chris told me about you. I thought that was his jacket you were wearing."

I feel myself blush. "I-I was cold."

"Well follow me. Your mom is in 206."

I follow her to the room. I see Chris standing next to Mom's bed, talking to her.

"There you are! God, I was so worried! Come here!" Mom holds her arms towards me. I get into her bed and lay in her arms. "And whose jacket are you wearing? It smells good."

"Hey, isn't that mine?" Chris asks. I laugh.

"Yeah, it is."

Kate from yesterday walks in. "Okay, Chris, I did the blood work you asked me to do and-" Chris waves his hand cutting her off. It was too late. The words were already out. Mom sits up.

"Blood work? What blood work?" she asks.

"It's nothing." Chris goes.

"But yesterday you asked me to check you and Jessica's-" again, Chris cuts off the nurse.

"Why the hell are you doing blood work on my daughter?" Mom asks, clearly angry.

"I was just checking-"

"Checking? Checking what?"

"Mom, stop it." I say.

Kate continues. "It's what you thought. Both of your blood types are the same number and a rare type. O-negative. She is indeed, your younger sister by both of your parents."

I sit up and stare at mom. "I'm adopted?" I ask.

"Uh, I just..I mean-"

"I'm adopted and you didn't tell me?"

"Jessica-"

"You knew who my real parents were. You knew he was my brother. How could you not tell me this? You know how much I adore Chris."

"Jessica, I kept it a secret for your own good."

"My own good? I'm 17, I should know that I'm adopted! What the hell does keeping it a secret do for my good?"

"Jessica! You watch your mouth!"

"I will not! I can't believe this! How dare you-"

"Jessica." Chris's voice was low and stern. I shut up immediately. He motions for me to get off the bed, so I get off and stand by him.

"You need to go back to your room." he says. He picks me up, one arm under my back and one arm under my legs, and begins to walk out of Mom's room.