9. "By my side"

Song: ThnxSoMch - keep it tucked.

'I'm sorry you had to go through that Y/n..' Joseph tells Y/n as they sit at the kitchen table.

Luckily Peter and Alissa were already tired and went to separate beds. Y/n wouldn't let them sleep together, but she isn't oblivious to the possibility of them sneaking around either.

'But what I don't understand is where you got those bruises from...they don't seem that old...'

Y/n looks right into Steve's eyes when his father makes the comment, she then turns away again and sighs. 'I was supposed to meet your son... got jumped and left for dead...'

Mary's hand flies to her mouth as she gasps. 'She thinks I ratted her out...' Steve speaks up.

'Please tell me you didn't...' Mary breathes at her son. 'I didn't but she believes I did...'

'Really Steve? I'm front of your parents, real fucking mature...'

'You won't listen to me so how am I supposed to-'

'Stop it... there's an easy procedure to find out, I used to be an officer and I can still access the records, just give me the date and I will find out the truth...'

Y/n hesitantly gives him the exact date and time this happened and so Joseph types away on his laptop, in search of the file while his son and Y/n have an angry stare down.

'Here it is... the report says...' Joseph gets silent as he fills, he contemplates if he should even tell this.

'Tell us..' Mary almost commands and so he does.

'It says here that they used Steve's number, knowing that he would meet you, to send you a different adres so they could rough you up Y/n...and I'm not trying to cover for him, but that's what it says...'

'Oh my god...' Mary squeaks again but this time Y/n can't handle the reactions of anyone. Not Joseph looking at her with pity, not Steve almost doing a victory dance because he finally proved his innocence, nobody's reaction.

The chair screeches against the hardwood floor as she bolts away and up to the room. She closes the door behind her and tries to steady herself.

She can't breathe. It's like someone is closing up her windpipe and she can't do anything about it. Her short breaths turn into to wheezing and she falls to the ground.

Her head plays the memories like a movie, the good and the bad. She can't believe he didn't rat her out like she believed all this time.

'Leave the girl alone for a while, Steve...' his father says as he sees his son trying to go after Y/n. 'Besides, this can be used against Justine... the police saying this on record... it could do some serious damage... I'll send it to Stark, he'll know what to do with it..'

'Steve, honey... listen to your dad... I know you want to be there for her but I speak from experience that it's not always best.. she's probably confused right now and seeing the culprit of it probably won't help... I will go check on her...'

Steve nods in defeat. His mother is always right about this kind of thing. But he doesn't want to fight that urge to comfort her. Even if she doesn't need him right now.

He watches his mother take the same path as Y/n just took, she disappears behind a corner and finally Joseph speaks up.

'I don't trust that Cole...' he says lowly, catching Steve's attention. 'He's constantly lurking over both your shoulders. Trust me on this... that Cole is the one who gave the information to Justine...I'm gonna find proof... but I need you to distract him if he gets close...'

'Roger that..'

His father rolls his eyes at Steve, making Steve smirk a little. 'You're a little shit sometimes, you know that?'

'Learned that from watching you..'

•••

She hears the door open and close. She glances up to see Mary, Steve's mother, enter the room.

'I'm sorry...' Y/n immediately croaks out.

'Nonsense, you don't need to apologize...' she sits down on the bed Y/n is sitting on as well.

'I really thought it was him... I didn't want it to be him...'

'Honey, that is okay... it is only logical...so much weight on those shoulders...it couldn't have been easy...'

'Steve was the only good thing to happen to me.. ever... and then that whole jump happened and even then I couldn't fully hate him.... But I was so mean to him... and for what?' You harshly wipe away some tears.

'You did what you know best... you build up that shield... I recognize it.. I was like that.. before Joseph..' She explains calmly, letting Y/n cry silently.

'I want this to end... I want a world where Alissa can be together with Peter without them having to look over their shoulders...'

'What about you?' That catches Y/n off guard. She hasn't even thought of that, what life could be for her if Justine wasn't such a cunt. 'What do you want after it ends, because it will.. I'm certain of it..'

'I don't know... I haven't really.. thought of that..'

She smiles sweetly at Y/n, seeing the strong girl that she is. Selfless and grew up way too quickly from what she heard. She can't imagine losing her mother the way Y/n did.

'You do know we are going to fuck up Justine, right?' Mary comments making Y/n chuckle through her tears. 'You're already gaining favor... once people start seeing what she does... it's over for her..'

'I get where Steve gets it from...'

'I'm not one to turn down a fight... don't tell Joseph though...'

The door opens benaming both their heads turn to the door. It reveals Steve, making Mary give him a stern look. 'I know I am not supposed to be here right now... but Nat and Bucky are here...'

'Where is Sam?' Mary asks.

Y/n frowns, Steve seems to be in distress and yet he calmly talks to his mother about some people you've only heard about but never seen.

'Sam has been taken... Justine is on a war path... you two should really come downstairs...' he glances at Y/n.

'Steve-'

He holds up his hand to stop her from saying anything else. 'We will talk about this later...' his tone more harsh than he wanted and he cringes. 'Y/n-'

'No I get it...' she gets up and walks past Steve.

Mary sits there in shock at how fast this girl can toughen up. Steve on the other hand knows better, this isn't even record time..